Chicago – It is revitalizing to take a break from traditional cinema, and the new artistic film “Samsara” is a non-linear quasi-documentary and travelogue that is a parade of images contemplating existence and the beauty around us. Who doesn’t need that tonic of meditation every so often?
Filmmakers Ron Fricke and Mark Magidson are expanding on concepts explored in their previous films “Baraka” and “Chronos,” which also explore non-linear imagery. This film goes all over the world over five years, but mostly focuses on the humanity that strives within it. With the time-lapse view of ordinary events, personhood is reduced to a primal state, one of tribes and animalistic movements. The rhythms and the soundtrack are reflective of these images and create a soothing visual symphony for virtually all the senses.
The film begins with a series of close-ups, faces in compose. There is suddenly movement, dancing and then »
- email@example.com (Adam Fendelman)
Similar News ItemsPatrick McDonald (II)
- Interview: Writer/Director Adriana Trigiani of ‘Big Stone Gap’ Will Participate at Screening in Chicago (From HollywoodChicago.com. 7 February 2016, 10:32 AM, PST)
- Film Review: ‘4th Man Out’ Puts a Contemporary Spin on Orientation (From HollywoodChicago.com. 6 February 2016, 9:01 AM, PST)
- Film Review: Hard to Find a Point to ‘Pride and Prejudice and Zombies’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 5 February 2016, 8:39 PM, PST)
- 'Sherpa' Director Jennifer Peedom's 'Koyaanisqatsi' Homage, 'Mountain,' Acquired by Submarine and Dogwoof (From Thompson on Hollywood. 24 November 2015, 9:21 AM, PST)
- Film Review: ‘Planetary’ (From Variety - Film News. 30 April 2015, 8:02 PM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘Monsoon’ (From Variety - Film News. 4 November 2014, 3:36 PM, PST)
- 'Lucy' (2014) Movie Review (From Rope Of Silicon. 23 July 2014, 10:30 AM, PDT)
- 'Lessons of Darkness' (1992) Movie Review (From Rope Of Silicon. 11 June 2014, 3:45 PM, PDT)
- Sheffield Doc/Fest 2014: Happiness Review (From HeyUGuys. 10 June 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)