Movies from the “golden age” of black and white films (approximately the 1930’s through the 1950’s) almost invariably contain well-written dialogue and strikingly subtle humor, making them a favorite among many fans of cinema. The horror movies of this more subtle period in film history are therefore of a cerebral nature, primarily relying on the viewer’s imagination to generate the true sense of horror that modern movies generate through more visual means. It is these oft-ignored horror movies that will be the focus of a series of articles detailing the reasons why true fans of horror movies should rediscover these films.
Here we are with the 10th component in the Forgotten B&W Horror series. With this installment, we continue to look at movies that blur the line between horror and science fiction – a blurring that occurred with many sci-fi movies of the 1950′s.
The Deadly Mantis (1957) regales us »
- Tim Rich
Similar News ItemsHumphrey Bogart
- Julie Andrews' Rival in The Sound Of Music, 3-Time Oscar Nominee Has Died (From Alt Film Guide. 9 December 2013, 4:54 PM, PST)
- Actress Eleanor Parker, the Baroness in ‘The Sound of Music,’ Dies at 91 (From Variety - Film News. 9 December 2013, 3:59 PM, PST)
- Win The Long Goodbye on Blu-ray (From HeyUGuys. 2 December 2013, 12:05 AM, PST)
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
- Thn’s Godzilla Countdown #6: Invasion Of Astro-Monster (1965) (From The Hollywood News. 29 November 2013, 3:00 AM, PST)
- Amazon's Black Friday 2013 Blu-ray and DVD Deals: Wednesday, November 27 (From Rope Of Silicon. 26 November 2013, 11:01 PM, PST)
- Michel Gondry on Working With Noam Chomsky: "He Never Watches Movies" (From Village Voice. 18 November 2013, 9:00 PM, PST)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
- Shoot First: Han Solo’s Blaster up for Auction, but It Will Cost You a Lot of Credits (From Collider.com. 3 December 2013, 12:44 PM, PST)
- What Would You Actually Do With a Four Million-Dollar Bird Statuette? (From FilmSchoolRejects. 26 November 2013, 3:30 PM, PST)
- "Maltese Falcon" Statue Sold For Over $4 Million (From Dark Horizons. 26 November 2013, 4:56 AM, PST)