The Dark Knight Rises may have the edge over The Amazing Spider-Man when it comes to global box-office, but Christopher Nolan’s final Batman film didn’t have enough appeal with Chinese audiences to topple Sony’s rebooted wall-crawler when the two films opened in direct competition in mainland China yesterday.
According to Variety, The Dark Knight Rises enjoyed a $4.5 million opening day - more than any of the Harry Potter movies except Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, giving Warner Bros. a record for its highest-ever 2D opening in China - but it wasn’t enough to claim victory over The Amazing Spider-Man, with the Marc Webb-directed reboot pulling in a solid $5.46 million.
Despite opening in direct competition, the lucrative Chinese box office should provide a healthy boost to both films; as it stands at the moment, The Dark Knight Rises looks all but certain to break »
Similar News ItemsChristopher Nolan (I)
- Tom Hardy to play war photographer Don McCullin (From Flickeringmyth. 25 June 2016, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- Is Warner Bros. Courting Star Trek Beyond Director Justin Lin For Akira? (From We Got This Covered. 25 June 2016, 8:42 AM, PDT)
- Bucheon Fantasy Festival Unveils Huge Anniversary Line-up (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2016, 9:05 PM, PDT)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Six more images from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (From Flickeringmyth. 24 June 2016, 1:35 PM, PDT)
- Kathleen Kennedy and Gareth Edwards discuss Darth Vader’s involvement in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (From Flickeringmyth. 23 June 2016, 8:16 AM, PDT)
- Movie Theater Gunman in Germany Killed by Special Forces (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2016, 7:47 AM, PDT)
The Dark Knight (2008)
- 6 Of The Dumbest Comic Book Battles Between Batman And Superman (From ComicBookMovie. 25 June 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Kevin Conroy talks Batman: The Killing Joke, working with Mark Hamill, and expanding the story (From Flickeringmyth. 24 June 2016, 3:24 PM, PDT)
- Kevin Conroy Discusses Batman: The Killing Joke (From We Got This Covered. 24 June 2016, 10:54 AM, PDT)