Tony Scott, the director of Hollywood hits such as Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, and Unstoppable, died Sunday at age 68, his publicist has confirmed to EW. According to the Los Angeles Police Department’s harbor division, the British-born filmmaker jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas bridge near Long Beach, Calif.
According to officials, the director climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge and leapt off around 12:30 p.m. Police reportedly found a suicide note inside Scott’s black Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge. His identity was confirmed around 7 p.m. by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.
Scott and his older brother Ridley (the Oscar-nominated director of films like Alien, Gladiator, and Prometheus) were partners in Scott Free Productions, whose latest project is A&E’s four-hour medical thriller Coma, due to air next month. Tony Scott, whose last film was the 2010 runaway-train thriller Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine, had been developing a sequel to his 1986 Tom Cruise blockbuster Top Gun.
(Additional reporting by Grady Smith) »
- Thom Geier
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Take home Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation and go behind-the-scenes with Tom Cruise (From Cineplex. 26 November 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Watch: 8 Behind-The-Scenes Featurettes From ‘Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation’ And More (From The Playlist. 25 November 2015, 10:37 AM, PST)
- Remaking Memento, the Mummy and more: a Hollywood insider reveals all (From The Guardian - Film News. 25 November 2015, 10:21 AM, PST)
- Ridley Scott Talks "Alien: Covenant" Aussie Shoot (From Dark Horizons. 26 November 2015, 9:02 PM, PST)
- "Blade Runner 2," "Prometheus 3" Early Shoot Talk (From Dark Horizons. 26 November 2015, 8:58 PM, PST)
- Ridley Scott: 'Alien: Covenant' Is First of 3 Films Before Linking Up With Original 'Alien' (From The Hollywood Reporter. 26 November 2015, 8:47 PM, PST)
- Ridley Scott: Expect three more Prometheus films (From The Hollywood News. 26 November 2015, 11:25 PM, PST)
- Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien: Covenant’ Confirms New South Wales Shoot (From Variety - Film News. 26 November 2015, 10:31 PM, PST)
- Alien: Covenant confirmed as first of three new prequels (From Den of Geek. 26 November 2015, 10:23 PM, PST)