Tony Scott, the director of Hollywood hits such as Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, and Unstoppable, died Sunday at age 68, his publicist has confirmed to EW. According to the Los Angeles Police Department’s harbor division, the British-born filmmaker jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas bridge near Long Beach, Calif.
According to officials, the director climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge and leapt off around 12:30 p.m. Police reportedly found a suicide note inside Scott’s black Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge. His identity was confirmed around 7 p.m. by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.
Scott and his older brother Ridley (the Oscar-nominated director of films like Alien, Gladiator, and Prometheus) were partners in Scott Free Productions, whose latest project is A&E’s four-hour medical thriller Coma, due to air next month. Tony Scott, whose last film was the 2010 runaway-train thriller Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine, had been developing a sequel to his 1986 Tom Cruise blockbuster Top Gun.
(Additional reporting by Grady Smith) »
- Thom Geier
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Sundance: Tom Cruise Plot, Prison Camps in Scientology Doc ‘Going Clear’ (From The Wrap. 26 January 2015, 12:38 AM, PST)
- Sundance Film Review: ‘Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Belief’ (From Variety - Film News. 25 January 2015, 11:29 PM, PST)
- Sundance: Alex Gibney Premieres His Scathing Exposé on the Church of Scientology (From Indiewire. 25 January 2015, 6:47 PM, PST)
- The Man in the High Castle, Ep. 1.01: “Pilot” presents a world with long-term potential (From SoundOnSight. 25 January 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Black Sea’ Director Kevin Macdonald on Jude Law and Water Woes (From Variety - Film News. 23 January 2015, 11:30 AM, PST)
- Gary Sinise And More Rumoured To Join The ‘Suicide Squad’ (From The Hollywood News. 23 January 2015, 11:30 AM, PST)
- Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' Lines Up Chiwetel Ejiofor (From MovieWeb. 22 January 2015, 4:32 PM, PST)
- Alien franchise: ranking the movies in order of quality (From Den of Geek. 22 January 2015, 7:45 AM, PST)
- New Documentary on Surrealist H.R. Giger, Who Designed the 'Alien' Xenomorph, Coming Soon (From Thompson on Hollywood. 13 January 2015, 11:24 AM, PST)