Tony Scott, the director of Hollywood hits such as Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, and Unstoppable, died Sunday at age 68, his publicist has confirmed to EW. According to the Los Angeles Police Department’s harbor division, the British-born filmmaker jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas bridge near Long Beach, Calif.
According to officials, the director climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge and leapt off around 12:30 p.m. Police reportedly found a suicide note inside Scott’s black Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge. His identity was confirmed around 7 p.m. by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.
Scott and his older brother Ridley (the Oscar-nominated director of films like Alien, Gladiator, and Prometheus) were partners in Scott Free Productions, whose latest project is A&E’s four-hour medical thriller Coma, due to air next month. Tony Scott, whose last film was the 2010 runaway-train thriller Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine, had been developing a sequel to his 1986 Tom Cruise blockbuster Top Gun.
(Additional reporting by Grady Smith) »
- Thom Geier
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Games nobody talks about anymore: Operation Wolf (From Den of Geek. 27 February 2015, 7:45 AM, PST)
- Minority Report: leads found for TV sequel (From Den of Geek. 27 February 2015, 1:16 AM, PST)
- Minority Report Gets 2 For 1 On Precogs (From Obsessed with Film. 27 February 2015, 12:25 AM, PST)
- New ‘Alien’ Won’t Undo ‘Alien 3′ or ‘Resurrection,’ Director Neill Blomkamp Says (From Variety - Film News. 28 February 2015, 10:42 AM, PST)
- "Robin Hood" Gets Another Gritty Reboot (From Dark Horizons. 28 February 2015, 6:36 AM, PST)
- Blade Runner 2: 10 Questions That Need Answering (From Obsessed with Film. 28 February 2015, 3:45 AM, PST)
- Harrison Ford Officially Returns to 'Blade Runner,' New Director Named (From Moviefone. 27 February 2015, 2:35 AM, PST)
- Harrison Ford Confirmed for Blade Runner 2, Director Announced (From Worst Previews. 27 February 2015, 2:19 AM, PST)
- Harrison Ford Set For Blade Runner 2 (From Obsessed with Film. 27 February 2015, 12:33 AM, PST)