Gallery1988, the art gallery dedicated to exhibiting works of art related to pop culture, has opened a pop-up gallery here in New York City for the first time as part of their annual Crazy 4 Cult exhibition. The moderately-sized gallery opened with a packed reception Thursday evening (I stood in line for slightly over an hour waiting to get in) and is now open for public.
With “cult” being an umbrella descriptor of the movies referenced, the inspirations vary. Considering the target audience of pop culture-obsessed collectors, it should not be a surprise that the movies most referenced by numerous artworks are the usual suspects of Twin Peaks, Back to the Future, The Goonies, Shaun of the Dead and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Every once in a while, though, you see a lonely soul, like an illustration that pays tribute to Freddy Got Fingered.
- Arya Ponto
Similar News ItemsBack to the Future (1985)
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle – Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 21 September 2017, 7:43 PM, PDT)
- Today in Movie Culture: The Many Deaths of Marty McFly, 'The Princess Bride' Trivia and More (From Movies.com. 19 September 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Rick and Morty’ Composer Ryan Elder on How to Write a David Bowie Song For a Fart (From Indiewire Television. 18 September 2017, 11:00 AM, PDT)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
- Teaser Trailer for Horror Musical Comedy 'Anna and the Apocalypse' (From FirstShowing.net. 21 September 2017, 7:56 AM, PDT)
- ‘Baby Driver’ Is Getting A Huge Home Release & We Have All The Details (From The Hollywood News. 21 September 2017, 1:45 AM, PDT)
- Sony Buys Into Simon Pegg and Nick Frost’s Stolen Picture Production Company (From Variety - Film News. 20 September 2017, 1:00 AM, PDT)
"Twin Peaks" (1990)
- North Bend Film Festival: Next Summer's Hot New Ticket on The Festival Circuit (From Screen Anarchy. 21 September 2017, 6:30 PM, PDT)
- ‘Twin Peaks’: 10 Behind-the-Scenes Photos to Help You Cope With the Series’ End (From Indiewire Television. 21 September 2017, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- ‘Twin Peaks’: 10 Behind-the-Scenes Photos to Help You Cope With the Series’ End (From Indiewire. 21 September 2017, 11:30 AM, PDT)