Authorities have released the cause of death for actor Sherman Hemsley, who died last month at age 74.
A statement from the coroner's office in El Paso, TX, states that Hemsley died from a complication of lung cancer known as Superior Vena Cava Syndrome. The illness is triggered by an obstruction that causes a narrowing or blockage of the second largest vein in the body.
Related: Jeffersons Star Sherman Hemsley Dies
The Golden Globe nominee -- perhaps best known for his role as George Jefferson -- passed away at his home in El Paso on July 24. Hemsley first broke into television in 1973, appearing on All in the Family, and his character's popularity earned him his own spinoff, The Jeffersons.
During its 10-year run, the program broke barriers as the first prim time show to star an upscale African-American couple. The show was also ahead of its time in casting the first interracial couple on a major sitcom.
Similar News Items"All in the Family" (1971)
- How Bea Arthur Gave Back to the Gays Who Loved Her (From The Hollywood Reporter. 23 September 2016, 4:24 PM, PDT)
- 'Awards Chatter' Podcast — Rob Reiner ('Lbj') (From The Hollywood Reporter. 19 September 2016, 6:11 PM, PDT)
- The Emmys Pack Little Punch When It Comes to the Fall TV Schedule (From Indiewire. 7 September 2016, 2:43 PM, PDT)
"The Jeffersons" (1975)
- Emmy Awards’ Diversity Boom Reflects America (From Variety - TV News. 23 August 2016, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Interview: Norman Lear of ‘Norman Lear: Just Another Version of You’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 1 August 2016, 11:41 AM, PDT)
- Norman Lear on Racial Inequality: ‘It Amazes Me That We Haven’t Moved Faster’ (From The Wrap. 30 July 2016, 4:58 PM, PDT)
- February 10th Blu-ray & DVD Releases Include Nightcrawler, Once Bitten, Vampire’s Kiss (From DailyDead. 9 February 2015, 4:08 PM, PST)
- Trailers & Clips from Vampire’s Kiss / High Spirits & Love at First Bite / Once Bitten Blu-rays (From DailyDead. 5 February 2015, 1:05 PM, PST)
- Scream Factory Set To Make Your February A Busy One With Vampires, Ghosts and Slashers! (From Icons of Fright. 5 January 2015, 10:49 AM, PST)