Bob Hoskins is to retire from acting following a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease last autumn, it was announced on Wednesday. A statement, issued on Hoskins' behalf, said:
"He wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career."
It continued: "Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."
Hoskins, one of Britain's best-loved actors, known for his gruff bonhomie and diminutive size, has been working consistenly for more than 30 years. He first found fame on the small screen in Dennis Potter's Pennies from Heaven, and then in cinemas as a London gangster-turned-businessman in The Long Good Friday (1980). Hopkins had leading roles in Brazil (1985), Mona Lisa (1986), Mermaids (1990), Who Framed Roger Rabbit? »
- Catherine Shoard
Similar News ItemsSnow White and the Huntsman (2012)
- First trailer and new posters for Tak3n (From Flickeringmyth. 30 September 2014, 10:45 AM, PDT)
- New featurette for Dracula Untold (From Flickeringmyth. 25 September 2014, 11:10 PM, PDT)
- ‘The Two Faces of January’ cannot sustain a sense of dread (From SoundOnSight. 25 September 2014, 8:40 AM, PDT)
Bob Hoskins (I)
- Games on Film: Super Mario Bros (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 1 October 2014, 1:30 AM, PDT)
- The Definitive ‘What the F**k?’ Movies: 20-11 (From SoundOnSight. 13 September 2014, 7:07 PM, PDT)
- Watch Bizarre Unearthed Test Footage of 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' (From Rolling Stone. 9 September 2014, 6:44 AM, PDT)
- Canal Brasil Preps Ambitious TV Fiction Slate (From Variety - TV News. 25 September 2014, 3:28 AM, PDT)
- Watch: First Official U.S. Trailer For Xavier Dolan’s Canadian Oscar Entry ‘Mommy’ (From The Playlist. 24 September 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Deadpool Solo Film is a Go (From FilmExperience. 23 September 2014, 11:13 AM, PDT)