Bob Hoskins is to retire from acting following a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease last autumn, it was announced on Wednesday. A statement, issued on Hoskins' behalf, said:
"He wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career."
It continued: "Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."
Hoskins, one of Britain's best-loved actors, known for his gruff bonhomie and diminutive size, has been working consistenly for more than 30 years. He first found fame on the small screen in Dennis Potter's Pennies from Heaven, and then in cinemas as a London gangster-turned-businessman in The Long Good Friday (1980). Hopkins had leading roles in Brazil (1985), Mona Lisa (1986), Mermaids (1990), Who Framed Roger Rabbit? »
- Catherine Shoard
Similar News ItemsSnow White and the Huntsman (2012)
- Simon Pegg, Mike Myers cast in neo-noir thriller Terminal (From Den of Geek. 24 May 2016, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- 'Wolverine' Actress Rila Fukushima Joins Scarlett Johansson in 'Ghost in the Shell' (Exclusive) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 23 May 2016, 8:12 PM, PDT)
- Why Kristen Stewart Was Happy To Not Be Part Of The Huntsman: Winter's War (From Cinema Blend. 10 May 2016, 6:01 PM, PDT)
Bob Hoskins (I)
- Popular Kids' Movies That Should Never Have Had Sequels (From Moviefone. 17 May 2016, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Popular Kids' Movies That Should Have Never Have Had Sequels (From Moviefone. 17 May 2016, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Top 10 Video Game Inspired Movies (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 28 April 2016, 4:45 AM, PDT)
- New Generation of Mexican Filmmakers Reaches Out to Europe, U.S. (From Variety - Film News. 15 May 2016, 11:08 AM, PDT)
- Owen Gleiberman’s Top 5 Memories From the Cannes Film Festival (From Variety - Film News. 11 May 2016, 3:20 AM, PDT)
- Walden Boards Producer Akiva Goldsman’s ‘Billion Dollar Spy’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 10 May 2016, 6:40 AM, PDT)