Experimental French director acclaimed for his post-apocalyptic film La Jetée
The essay film, a form pitched between documentary and personal reflection, exploring the subjectivity of the cinematic perspective, has now become an accepted genre. Jean-Marie Straub, Danièle Huillet, Jean-Luc Godard, Errol Morris and Michael Moore are among its main recent exponents, but Chris Marker, who has died aged 91, was credited with inventing the form.
Marker's creative use of sound, images and text in his poetic, political and philosophical documentaries made him one of the most inventive of film-makers. They looked forward to what is called "the new documentary", but also looked back to the literary essay in the tradition of Michel de Montaigne. Marker's interests lay in transitional societies – "life in the process of becoming history," as he put it. How do various cultures perceive and sustain themselves and each other in the increasingly intermingled modern world?
He was born Christian François Bouche-Villeneuve, »
- Ronald Bergan
Similar News ItemsTerry Gilliam
- Karlovy Vary Film Festival Honors Talent Working in Front of and Behind the Camera (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2017, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Damon Lindelof in talks with HBO for a new Watchmen series (From HeyUGuys. 21 June 2017, 3:44 AM, PDT)
- Annecy: ‘Lu Over The Wall,’ ‘Loving Vincent’ Take Top Honors at Annecy Animation Festival (From Variety - Film News. 17 June 2017, 1:14 PM, PDT)
Michael Moore (II)
- The Top Five Best Uses of Beatles Songs in Movies (From TVovermind.com. 22 June 2017, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Rare Cannes Swedish Favorite, AIDS Drama and Best Actor Winner Phoenix Oscar Chances? (From Alt Film Guide. 20 June 2017, 7:16 PM, PDT)
- Topics Michael Moore Needs to Make Documentaries On (From TVovermind.com. 19 June 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: Bertrand Tavernier’s ‘My Journey Through French Cinema’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2017, 10:37 AM, PDT)
- Influential French Auteur Jean-Marie Straub to Receive Locarno Lifetime Achievement Award (From Variety - Film News. 22 June 2017, 5:20 AM, PDT)
- Rushes. Robert Pattinson Covers, Apichatpong x Ryuichi Sakamoto, "Girls Gone Wild 1863" (From MUBI. 22 June 2017, 5:01 AM, PDT)