The Steve Carell led animated feature "Despicable Me" topped the box office last weekend garnering $56.4M in its first week of release. "Despicable" as the title may lead one to believe, the film has thus far received extremely favorable reviews, with an 80 percent rating on rottentomatoes.com, and Kirk Honeycutt of hollywoodreporter.com saying the film is "funny, clever, and warmly animated with memorable characters."
Coming in behind "Despicable" by more than $24M, "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" finished the weekend at $31.7M. Despite the more than 50 percent drop from its opening weekend gross, the third "Twilight" installment has now banked more than $235M since its June 30th release. The film series' continued popularity is great news for stars Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, and Kristin Stewart, who are set to receive $25M apiece for the next two installments of "Breaking Dawn" plus 7.5 percent of those films' gross.
Placing third in its opening weekend, »
Similar News ItemsRobert Pattinson
- Gillian Flynn boards New Regency heist thriller (From ScreenDaily. 27 March 2015, 9:54 AM, PDT)
- Cannes: New Movies From Pixar, Woody Allen Expected at 68th Film Festival (From Variety - Film News. 26 March 2015, 11:55 AM, PDT)
- The Cutest Pictures of Robert Pattinson and Fka Twigs (From Popsugar. 26 March 2015, 11:00 AM, PDT)
Christopher Nolan (I)
- New VOD and Streaming Movies, Plus: Feel Musical at Home with 'Into the Woods' (From Movies.com. 31 March 2015, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive Interview With Jonathan Nolan On Interstellar (From We Got This Covered. 31 March 2015, 5:24 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive Video From Interstellar Live Event (From TheMovieBit. 31 March 2015, 1:43 PM, PDT)
- Rob Gronkowski -- I Wanna Bang that Chick from 'Wolf of Wall St.' (From TMZ. 31 March 2015, 11:45 AM, PDT)
- Liam Hemsworth's New Haircut Takes Us Back to the '90s—Take a Look! (From E! Online. 30 March 2015, 1:55 PM, PDT)
- Kaitlin Doubleday's Dog Was Stolen and Sold to a Drug Dealer and 25 Other Things You Didn't Know About Her (From Us Weekly. 30 March 2015, 12:00 PM, PDT)