You'd be very hard-pressed to find a more crowd-pleasing documentary this year than the Sundance award-winner, "Searching for Sugar Man."
Ever since kicking off this year's festival in Park City to a rapturous audience who gave the film a prolonged standing ovation, Malik Bendjelloul's feature-length debut has been charming the pants off of audiences the world over. It finally hits select theaters on July 27, so you can see for yourself what all the well-earned fuss is about.
The film plays like a gentler cousin to "The Imposter," another documentary released this year that keeps its best twist for last, and one that tells a story so strange, it could only be true.
The Sugar Man of the title is Rodriguez, a man you've probably never heard of, despite being one of the greatest rock icons from the '70s (once you hear some of his tracks in the film, »
- Nigel Smith
Similar News ItemsSearching for Sugar Man (2012)
- John Belushi Documentary in the Works at Showtime (From Slash Film. 24 May 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- John Belushi Documentary In the Works At Showtime (From Deadline TV. 23 May 2016, 9:41 AM, PDT)
- Sturridge, Martin, Flanagan enter '3 Way Junction' (From ScreenDaily. 19 May 2016, 2:40 AM, PDT)
- Brian Wilson’s Tour With Rodriguez Prompts Re-Release of ‘Searching for Sugar Man’ (From The Wrap. 9 June 2015, 1:45 PM, PDT)
- Oscars: Joan Rivers Left Out of In Memoriam Tribute (From Variety - Film News. 22 February 2015, 8:07 PM, PST)
- Oscars 2015: Live Blog (From ScreenDaily. 22 February 2015, 3:15 PM, PST)
- Charity Begins Alone (From CultureCatch. 19 March 2016, 10:53 AM, PDT)
- ‘Amy’ and ‘What Happened, Miss Simone?’ Join Long List of Music-Related Docs Nominated for Oscars (From Scott Feinberg. 22 January 2016, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Top 50 modern movie documentaries (From Den of Geek. 12 November 2015, 3:15 AM, PST)