The BBC has sold its historic Television Centre premises in west London in a deal worth £200m.
The historic doughnut-shaped building, which dates back to 1960, has been bought by property developer Stanhope plc, the corporation confirmed on Monday.
BBC director general Mark Thompson said the deal was secured after the First Night of the Proms on Saturday.
TV Centre – once the home of TV classics from Top of the Pops to Blue Peter and which once bore the blast from a car bomb – was put up for sale last year as part of the BBC's latest cost-cutting drive.
Thompson said its sale "represents another milestone in the way the BBC is changing" from a number of broadcasting bases to key HQs in the capital and around the country, including »
- John Plunkett
Similar News Items"Strictly Come Dancing" (2004)
- Ore Oduba: ‘Strictly was like being a gladiator – without the lions' (From The Guardian - TV News. 15 January 2017, 10:00 PM, PST)
- Strictly Come Dancing triumphs in Christmas Day TV ratings battle (From The Guardian - TV News. 26 December 2016, 5:45 AM, PST)
- Pop Star George Michael Dead at 53 (From TVLine.com. 25 December 2016, 3:25 PM, PST)
"Fawlty Towers" (1975)
- Move over Mrs Brown: comedians prefer Alan Partridge and Fawlty Towers (From The Guardian - TV News. 4 January 2017, 5:06 AM, PST)
- 2016 Australian culture quiz: from Triple J to the Archibalds and reality TV (From The Guardian - TV News. 26 December 2016, 12:00 PM, PST)
- Sherlock Season 4 Preview: Mark Gatiss on Sherlock vs. Baby Watson — Plus: Could This Be the Final Season? (From TVLine.com. 26 December 2016, 5:38 AM, PST)
- Watching Ed Balls on Strictly was the uncomplicated joy we all needed | Suzanne Moore (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 November 2016, 4:32 AM, PST)
- Ash Atalla: white middle class 'swept away' decision to close BBC3 (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 November 2016, 4:00 AM, PST)
- Never give a straight answer: how I learned to talk like a politician (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 October 2016, 6:23 AM, PDT)