With 7 Days in Havana comes yet another portmanteau project. But if they don't excite the box office, what is their purpose?
Virtually every review I've ever read of an anthology film says something along the lines of "variable", "uneven" or "patchy" – and that seems to go double for the city anthology film, where the subject matter navigates the dinks, dips and cracks on the pavement of urban life. This week's release, 7 Days in Havana, a "contemporary portrait" of Cuba's capital in which Malibu-commercial cliches (Benicio del Toro's opening segment) sit alongside poker-faced pieces of absurdist excellence (Elia Suleiman's), is no exception.
Given the innate quality control issues and how laborious it must be to set up these portmanteau projects, why make them at all? Who exactly do they serve? Money doesn't seem to be the principal reason: they've only done tepid box office in the past. Think of 2006's Paris je t'aime. »
- Phil Hoad
Similar News ItemsThor (2011)
- Age of Ultron's Vision is born in exclusive behind the scenes featurette (From Cineplex. 2 September 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Stan Lee reveals his favourite Marvel star: 'He's the greatest guy' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 2 September 2015, 2:19 AM, PDT)
- How Netflix’s ‘Beasts of No Nation’ Could Change the Movie Business (From Variety - Film News. 1 September 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Ten Hollywood Celebrities Who Have Spoken Out About Their Religion (From The Hollywood Reporter. 30 August 2015, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- 12 Films We’d Love to See at This Year’s London Film Festival (From Flickeringmyth. 29 August 2015, 5:25 AM, PDT)
- French Montana -- Summer Party Pad Up For Grabs ... For $5.3 Million (From TMZ. 29 August 2015, 12:20 AM, PDT)
Benicio Del Toro
- Watch: Benicio Del Toro is Ready to Kill in Intense 'Sicario' Clip (From Indiewire. 2 September 2015, 10:47 AM, PDT)
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Looking at Gina Rodriguez, Tatiana Maslany, Olivia Cooke For Lead Role (From Moviefone. 2 September 2015, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Review: Netflix's 'Narcos' Starring Wagner Moura And Boyd Holbrook (From The Playlist. 2 September 2015, 7:10 AM, PDT)