Will Aaron Sorkin's major series The Newsroom do for journalism what his acclaimed West Wing did for Us politics? Or does this dramatic paean to a golden age fail to spot the shortcomings of TV news – and the challenges it faces in a digital age?
In the opening sequence of Aaron Sorkin's new drama about a Us cable news show, The Newsroom, anchorman Will McAvoy delivers a diatribe to earnest journalism students about the reasons why America is no longer the "greatest country in the world". He rages through a list of national inadequacies "… seventh in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy".
It was not always the case, rants McAvoy (played by Jeff Daniels), who then cues up a list of rather less evidence-based reasons as to the past greatness of the United States: "We cultivated the greatest artists and the world's greatest economy, »
- Emily Bell
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Garry Shandling snubbed at Oscars ceremony (From The Guardian - Film News. 26 February 2017, 8:30 PM, PST)
- Critic's Notebook: Bill Paxton Was A Mainstream Team Player With A Wild Cult Side (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 26 February 2017, 4:12 PM, PST)
- Joseph Wapner, Former ‘People’s Court’ Judge, Dies at 97 (From Variety - TV News. 26 February 2017, 12:08 PM, PST)
Will Ferrell (I)
- Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg Insulting Each other on the Scott Mills show is Hilarious (From TVovermind.com. 26 February 2017, 8:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Toni Erdmann’ Remake: Maren Ade Praises Jack Nicholson, Says She Will ‘Definitely Not Be Involved’ (From Variety - Film News. 25 February 2017, 5:32 PM, PST)
- Razzies 2017: Batman v Superman and Hillary’s America “win” big at the Golden Raspberry Awards (From Flickeringmyth. 25 February 2017, 1:04 PM, PST)
The Social Network (2010)
- Encore: Oscar Producers Mike De Luca & Jennifer Todd Ponder Trump, Hopes & Anxieties Going Into Hollywood’s Big Night (From Deadline TV. 24 February 2017, 1:11 PM, PST)
- Encore: Oscar Producers Mike De Luca & Jennifer Todd Ponder Trump, Hopes & Anxieties Going Into Hollywood’s Big Night (From Deadline. 24 February 2017, 1:11 PM, PST)
- Oscars Producer Michael De Luca on Keeping the Show Moving and What's Next for 'Fifty Shades' (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 23 February 2017, 6:00 AM, PST)