No surprise here but Hollywood studios are interested in picking up the screen rights to Ubisoft's Splinter Cell video game franchise. Endorsed by military spy thriller novelist Tom Clancy, the games have sold over 22 million copies and also been spun off into their own book series.
Deadline is the online outlet breaking the news and adding that Paramount Pictures is the current frontrunner to successfully land the rights. The synergy makes sense; Paramount is also the same studio that has held the movie rights to Clancy's Jack Ryan hero. If they manage to reboot the Ryan movies (Star Trek's Chris Pine is the name hinted at), and it's a hit, then a Splinter Cell movie featuring that franchise's Sam Fisher would make smart business sense.
But Paramount isn't the only movie studio interested in Splinter Cell. According to the original report, Warner Bros. was speaking with Ubisoft only a couple of weeks ago. »
- Patrick Sauriol
Similar News ItemsStar Trek (2009)
- Who's Your Favorite Star Trek Character? (From TVSeriesFinale. 26 June 2016, 6:57 PM, PDT)
- See ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Early as Part of the AMC Theatres Star Trek Marathon (From Slash Film. 26 June 2016, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Hannibal: Season Four "Still Alive" Says Bryan Fuller (From TVSeriesFinale. 26 June 2016, 12:44 PM, PDT)
Tom Clancy (I)
- Cinelinx Best of E3 2016 Award Nominees (From Cinelinx. 20 June 2016, 12:51 PM, PDT)
- E3 2016: Microsoft Press Conference Highlights Include We Happy Few, Dead Rising 4, State Of Decay 2 (From DailyDead. 14 June 2016, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- ‘Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy Xv’ Trailer: Lena Headey & Aaron Paul Star In Trippy CGI Video Game Adaptation (From Indiewire. 14 June 2016, 9:52 AM, PDT)
Splinter Cell (2017)
- Jake Gyllenhaal to produce and star in video game adaptation of The Division (From Flickeringmyth. 2 June 2016, 4:24 AM, PDT)
- The Division: Jake Gyllenhaal to star in Ubisoft's film adaptation (From Den of Geek. 2 June 2016, 1:33 AM, PDT)
- Jake Gyllenhaal Joins "The Division" Film (From Dark Horizons. 1 June 2016, 8:02 PM, PDT)