Directed by Richard Linklater
Bernie’s a really nice guy. I mean really nice. There are a lot of people in Carthage, Texas that still think so, even though he just shot an old woman in the back four times.
Bernie (Jack Black, in a performance as good as any in his career) is the local assistant funeral director in the small town of Carthage, Texas. Bernie might be gay, he’s actively involved in local theater productions, and he’s a spendthrift. Bernie’s specialty is comforting old widows, so when Marjorie Nugent’s (Shirley MacLaine) oil-rich husband dies, he’s immediately on the case. Marjorie and Bernie quickly become the odd-couple, but their relationship rapidly evolves from one of friendship to servitude, taking its toll on Bernie’s perpetually sunny disposition and leading to a surprising crime.
- Neal Dhand
Similar News ItemsMatthew McConaughey
- Visiting ‘Kubo and the Two Strings,’ Laika’s Samurai Stop-Motion Adventure (From Indiewire. 30 June 2016, 1:45 PM, PDT)
- Matthew McConaughey to Teach University Film Class (From The Wrap. 30 June 2016, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Set Visit Interview: Talking With Travis Knight, CEO of Laika and Director of 'Kubo And The Two Strings' (From LatinoReview. 30 June 2016, 7:01 AM, PDT)
Jack Black (I)
- Cinema Gadfly – Episode 22 – Bob Roberts (From CriterionCast. 30 June 2016, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' Extended Cut, Plus This Week's New Digital HD and VOD Releases (From Movies.com. 28 June 2016, 4:30 PM, PDT)
- HBO Cancels 'Vinyl' After One Season (From Rolling Stone. 22 June 2016, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Trailer For Documentary ‘Richard Linklater: Dream Is Destiny’ Explores The Director’s Visionary Career (From The Playlist. 30 June 2016, 11:55 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive: 'Everybody Wants Some!!' Cast Explains Their '80s Crash Education (From Fandango. 30 June 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Mike Mills’ ’20th Century Women’ Lands Oscar-Friendly Slot via A24 (From Indiewire. 29 June 2016, 10:49 AM, PDT)