It's finally, really happening.
Philip Roth's 1997 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel "American Pastoral," often considered the 79-year-old legend's masterpiece, is being made into a movie. After years of dithering by various Hollywood executives who'd purchased the adaptation rights, it's now in the capable hands of producer Tom Rosenberg, the head of production company Lakeshore Entertainment, who won a Best Picture Oscar for "Million Dollar Baby." When it's released -- hopefully in fall of 2013, Rosenberg told the Huffington Post -- it'll be the third Philip Roth novel he's brought to the big screen.
We Roth fans should be excited right now. But it's hard not to feel some trepidation.
Rosenberg's other two Roth adaptations were mixed successes at best. The first, "The Human Stain," was widely criticized for its dicey casting -- people were upset to learn that Anthony Hopkins was playing protagonist Coleman Silk, a professor nursing tortured feelings about his African-American heritage. »
- Joe Satran
Similar News ItemsPenélope Cruz
- Rome’s Cinecitta Studios Lures ‘Ben Hur’ Redo And Other Hollywood Pics (From Variety - Film News. 24 November 2014, 6:42 AM, PST)
- 10 Stories You Might Have Missed: 'Lego Batman' to 'acknowledge' multiple Batmans (From Hitfix. 22 November 2014, 12:00 AM, PST)
- Best of the Week: 'Running Man' Sequel, 'Interstellar' Prequel, 'Hunger Games' Strikes Back and More (From Movies.com. 22 November 2014, 12:00 AM, PST)
Anthony Hopkins (I)
- HBO Gives J.J. Abrams’ Westworld an Official Series Order (From GeekTyrant. 22 November 2014, 6:00 AM, PST)
- The Week in Television: The Flash & Arrow Crossover Photos, Netflix Saves Longmire & Glee’s Final Season Premiere Date (From TVovermind.com. 21 November 2014, 2:53 PM, PST)
- Skyfall writers to pen new BBC One spy thriller SS-gb (From Digital Spy - TV news. 20 November 2014, 2:29 AM, PST)
- Making ‘The Boxtrolls:’ “Like 18 Months Of Opening Nights” – The Contenders (From Deadline New York. 26 November 2014, 10:08 AM, PST)
- Ridley Scott addresses the casting choices in Exodus: Gods and Kings (From JoBlo. 26 November 2014, 6:13 AM, PST)
- Quick Impressions: "Madame Frou-Frou (Singing Voice)" in The Boxtrolls (From FilmExperience. 25 November 2014, 2:41 PM, PST)