A dozen addiction experts have mounted a legal campaign on behalf of actor Michael Douglas' incarcerated son Cameron, vowing to help the family fight his 54-month prison term.
Cameron Douglas is currently serving five years behind bars for drug distribution and heroin possession and last year he was handed an additional four-and-a-half-month jail term after he was caught with heroin and Suboxone, a prescription medication used to dull the effects of opioid withdrawal, in jail.
Douglas and his legal team subsequently lodged an appeal with the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, claiming his punishment was "shockingly long", and earlier this month a handful of doctors gave the 33 year old's case a boost by filing a supporting brief, insisting drug addiction is best treated with therapy, not prison time.
The group aims to help reduce or dismiss Douglas' 54-month sentence and push the corrections system into reiterating its stance on helping inmates with addiction, with Dr. Robert Newman writing, "My outrage is as a physician for someone who has a medical condition which has been ignored. What the judge has imposed has zero benefits for the community and has staggering consequences for society."
Michael Douglas and his lawyer, Nicholas M. De Feis, have been floored by the support of the top doctors.
De Feis tells The New York Times he and his client are "gratified that such a distinguished group of practitioners and experts have taken an interest in the case."
Similar News ItemsMichael Douglas (I)
- Steven Soderbergh working on new movie project with Channing Tatum (From Flickeringmyth. 4 February 2016, 3:20 AM, PST)
- Trying to Watch Some Shirtless Dudes on Valentine's Day? Here Are 23 Steamy Netflix Options (From BuzzSugar. 3 February 2016, 6:00 PM, PST)
- Catherine Zeta-Jones Reveals She's 'Not Anti-Plastic Surgery' but Says She Hasn't Gone 'Under the Knife' (From PEOPLE.com. 2 February 2016, 9:05 AM, PST)
Cameron Douglas (I)
- 6 Father-Son Duos Who Have Appeared in Films Together (From The Hollywood Reporter. 21 June 2015, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Cameron Douglas' Attorney Details Smuggling Drugs and Falling in Love With Michael Douglas' Incarcerated Son (From E! Online. 1 May 2015, 11:25 AM, PDT)
- I Fell in Love With Michael Douglas' Incarcerated Son and Smuggled Him Medication: A Lawyer's Shocking Confession (From The Hollywood Reporter. 30 April 2015, 6:00 AM, PDT)