Town officially changes name to Staines-upon-Thames, but not all residents are convinced
After suffering years of ridicule since Sacha Baron Cohen decided to make it the home of his creation Ali G, Staines has officially changed its name in an attempt to distance itself from the joke, to the more upmarket Staines-upon-Thames.
The long-debated revamp of the Surrey town prompted a day of celebrations on Sunday – from maypole dancing to a regatta – as the town set out to prove it was more glamorous than its M25 commuter-belt image, association with Ali G or its "ghost town" depiction by indie band Hard-Fi might suggest.
Spelthorne borough council, which pushed through the change after it was first suggested by a business forum, hopes it will bring more business to the town.
- James Meikle
Similar News ItemsChannel 4 [gb]
- Channel 4 to run week of programmes on fake news (From The Guardian - TV News. 19 January 2017, 12:00 AM, PST)
- BBC Ranked as the World’s Most Prolific Producer of Content in 2016 (From Variety - TV News. 18 January 2017, 8:21 AM, PST)
- Meet the Trumps: From Immigrant to President review – a warning from history (From The Guardian - TV News. 17 January 2017, 11:00 PM, PST)
Sacha Baron Cohen
- xXx: Return of Xander Cage Review (From HeyUGuys. 18 January 2017, 4:00 PM, PST)
- Competition: Win an ‘Army of One’ Blu-ray & iTunes code! (From Blogomatic3000. 18 January 2017, 9:01 AM, PST)
- Exclusive: Rami Malek Reveals He Will Sing as Freddie Mercury in Queen Biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (From Entertainment Tonight. 12 January 2017, 5:22 PM, PST)
"Da Ali G Show" (2003)
- Donald Trump: The Films and TV Shows That Made Him a Pop Culture Icon (From Indiewire. 19 October 2016, 11:14 AM, PDT)
- TV Review: ‘Preacher’ (From Variety - TV News. 18 May 2016, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Dirty Grandpa Blu-Ray Review (From We Got This Covered. 18 May 2016, 12:35 AM, PDT)