Louis Feuillade's great serials of the nineteen-teens (Fantomas, Les Vampires etc) inspired numerous imitations, sequels and parodies: they still lurk behind the makeshift digital scenery of the modern action film, making threatening shadows and cackling mutely.
I've long been fascinated by the followers of Fantomas—and how I long to see Zigomar (a.k.a. Zigomar the Eelskin, 1911), directed by somebody rejoicing in the name of Victorin-Hippolyte Jasset, which actually predates the screen adaptation of Allain & Souvestre's master-criminal. The slippery Zigomar even manages a spectacular escape from the electric chair itself, reverse-rappeling into the ceiling at the crucial moment.
Above: "It's a severed hand, isn't it?"
What I have managed to see is La secta de los mysteriosos (The Mysterious Sect, 1914), or those parts of it which survive. Spain's answer to Feuillade, Alberto Marro, serves up an elaborate adventure in Barcelona, with a trio of black-masked desperadoes, known as »
Similar News ItemsDavid Cairns (I)
- The Forgotten: Allan Dwan's "Black Sheep" (1935) (From MUBI. 18 May 2016, 4:05 PM, PDT)
- Criterion’s Carnival Of Souls (1962) Blu-ray / DVD Release Details & Cover Art (From DailyDead. 28 April 2016, 4:06 PM, PDT)
- The Forgotten: Brunello Rondi's "Il demonio" (1963) (From MUBI. 27 April 2016, 5:51 PM, PDT)
Fu Manchu (I)
- 15 Guilty Pleasure Horror Films To Watch This Halloween (From Obsessed with Film. 25 October 2015, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- Ed Catto: The Golden Age Batman v. Superman – The Sinister Shadow (From Comicmix. 12 October 2015, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Christopher Lee Tribute – Mahoning Drive-in Theater – October 3, 2015 (From CinemaRetro. 4 October 2015, 12:46 PM, PDT)
- Fantômas | Blu-ray Review (From ioncinema. 19 January 2016, 9:00 AM, PST)
- NYC Weekend Watch: Pialat, Chytilová, ‘Les Vampires,’ ‘Deep Red’ & More (From The Film Stage. 22 October 2015, 9:19 PM, PDT)
- All she surveys by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 26 August 2015, 3:06 AM, PDT)