The Giant Mechanical Man (Tgmm), the Lee Kirk film starring Jenna Fischer (The Office) and Chris Messina (Six Feet Under), is for audiences who have a yen for a true romantic comedy, one that feels gentle and real, but lacks the heroine getting the runs in the middle of traffic. Or a scene where a man's chest hair is pulled off. Or a finale where an overweight, pothead/pornographer gets the beautiful blonde. It's also one, thankfully, that's never been in the vicinity of Nicholas Sparks.
If you have to place this delightful offering anywhere, Tgmm is much closer in sensibility to (500) Days of Summer than to any Apatow commodity. That has a lot to do with Kirk's effortless direction, the impressive casting, cinematographer Doug Emmet's superb take on the Detroit locale, and the oddball trajectory of the love story.
This "tall" tale begins with Tim (Messina) being dumped by »
- Brandon Judell
Similar News Items"The Office" (2005)
- Paul Feig Makes History as First Man Ever Honored By Athena Film Festival (From Indiewire. 5 February 2016, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Ricky Gervais Confirms Rough Cut Of David Brent Film Finished (From Obsessed with Film. 5 February 2016, 3:07 AM, PST)
- TVLine Items: Scandal for Desperate Husband, Grinder's Fiancée and More (From TVLine.com. 4 February 2016, 3:59 PM, PST)
Sarah Jessica Parker
- Film Review: ‘All Roads Lead to Rome’ (From Variety - Film News. 5 February 2016, 8:28 AM, PST)
- Sarah Jessica Parker Defends Sex and the City's Ending After Darren Star Expresses Regrets About It (From E! Online. 4 February 2016, 12:58 PM, PST)
- Sarah Jessica Parker Says Carrie Bradshaw Wasn't 'Diminishing Herself By Letting a Man Marry Her' on Sex and the City (From PEOPLE.com. 4 February 2016, 11:15 AM, PST)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend Have an Exciting Night Out at the NAACP Image Awards (From Popsugar. 6 February 2016, 10:30 AM, PST)
- Spike Lee’s ‘Chi-Raq’ Arrives On Amazon Prime (From Tubefilter News. 5 February 2016, 3:10 PM, PST)
- Best of Fest: Sundance 2016’s Top 10 New Faces (From ioncinema. 5 February 2016, 2:30 PM, PST)