Chicago – The inherent drama of reality is trickier to capture on camera than one might suspect. Cinéma verité failed as soon as filmmakers utilized manipulative techniques to contrive on-camera drama. The staged shouting matches, comedic barbs and tearful breakdowns prevalent on Reality TV are as phony (or, dare I say, phonier) than the human behavior witnessed in scripted productions.
So many films that purport themselves to be realistic depictions of life rely on clichéd misunderstandings and third act revelations to fuel the dramatic conflict. This is an easy alternative to exploring human relationships unbound by the limitations of a formula. As one of the essential figures of the Hong Kong New Wave, Ann Hui avoids such constructs like the plague. There’s more reality-per-frame in her new film, “A Simple Life,” than there is in TLC’s entire programming schedule.
Read Matt Fagerholm’s full review of “A Simple Life” in our reviews section. »
- email@example.com (Adam Fendelman)
Similar News ItemsAndy Lau (I)
- Chinese Studio Exec Lays Out Everything Hollywood Does Wrong (From The Wrap. 15 September 2016, 4:05 PM, PDT)
- China Plays Media Power Games in Asia (From Variety - Film News. 14 September 2016, 1:18 PM, PDT)
- Adam Goodman’s Dichotomy Bought by China’s LeEco (From Variety - Film News. 14 September 2016, 5:00 AM, PDT)
Ann Hui (I)
- Mark Lee Ping-Bing’s Layered and Luminous Cinematography Shows the Power Of Minimalism (From Indiewire. 22 June 2016, 9:24 AM, PDT)
- Sky On Fire: First Teaser For Ringo Lam's Latest (From Screen Anarchy. 13 June 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Johnnie To, Ann Hui join new Macao film festival (From ScreenDaily. 15 March 2016, 4:00 AM, PDT)
Anthony Chau-Sang Wong
- Golden Scene snaps up Haf project 'Napping Kid' (From ScreenDaily. 14 March 2016, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Yuen Woo-ping's 'Hand Over Fist' on Emperor's Filmart slate (From ScreenDaily. 13 March 2016, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Emp launches sales on 'Heaven In The Dark' (From ScreenDaily. 11 February 2016, 9:00 PM, PST)