Chicago – The inherent drama of reality is trickier to capture on camera than one might suspect. Cinéma verité failed as soon as filmmakers utilized manipulative techniques to contrive on-camera drama. The staged shouting matches, comedic barbs and tearful breakdowns prevalent on Reality TV are as phony (or, dare I say, phonier) than the human behavior witnessed in scripted productions.
So many films that purport themselves to be realistic depictions of life rely on clichéd misunderstandings and third act revelations to fuel the dramatic conflict. This is an easy alternative to exploring human relationships unbound by the limitations of a formula. As one of the essential figures of the Hong Kong New Wave, Ann Hui avoids such constructs like the plague. There’s more reality-per-frame in her new film, “A Simple Life,” than there is in TLC’s entire programming schedule.
Read Matt Fagerholm’s full review of “A Simple Life” in our reviews section. »
- email@example.com (Adam Fendelman)
Similar News ItemsAndy Lau (I)
- Huayi Brothers Chief on China’s Movie Growth: ‘Creativity is Lacking’ (From Variety - Film News. 9 December 2014, 3:50 PM, PST)
- List of 10 Kung Fu movies You Need To Have Watched – part 8 (From AsianMoviePulse. 5 November 2014, 5:04 PM, PST)
- Donnie Yen Returning To The Us For English-Language Noodle Man (From Twitch. 18 October 2014, 5:00 PM, PDT)
Ann Hui (I)
- Interview: Ann Hui on 'The Golden Era' and her career so far (From CineVue. 6 December 2014, 12:57 AM, PST)
- 50 Foreign Language Oscar Hopefuls Set For Palm Springs’ Awards Buzz Section (From Deadline New York. 2 December 2014, 6:01 AM, PST)
- Psiff announces Awards Buzz (From ScreenDaily. 2 December 2014, 6:00 AM, PST)
Anthony Chau-Sang Wong
- ‘Turtles’, ‘Maze Runner’ Top Int’l Box Office Ahead Of ‘Interstellar’ Start: Final (From Deadline New York. 3 November 2014, 5:28 PM, PST)
- Undaunted, Hong Kong Stars Court China Ire With Occupy Central Support (From Deadline New York. 30 October 2014, 6:44 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘Gangster Pay Day’ (From Variety - Film News. 28 October 2014, 2:44 PM, PDT)