Chicago – The inherent drama of reality is trickier to capture on camera than one might suspect. Cinéma verité failed as soon as filmmakers utilized manipulative techniques to contrive on-camera drama. The staged shouting matches, comedic barbs and tearful breakdowns prevalent on Reality TV are as phony (or, dare I say, phonier) than the human behavior witnessed in scripted productions.
So many films that purport themselves to be realistic depictions of life rely on clichéd misunderstandings and third act revelations to fuel the dramatic conflict. This is an easy alternative to exploring human relationships unbound by the limitations of a formula. As one of the essential figures of the Hong Kong New Wave, Ann Hui avoids such constructs like the plague. There’s more reality-per-frame in her new film, “A Simple Life,” than there is in TLC’s entire programming schedule.
Read Matt Fagerholm’s full review of “A Simple Life” in our reviews section. »
- email@example.com (Adam Fendelman)
Similar News ItemsAndy Lau (I)
- Asia: Key Part of Im Global’s Growth (From Variety - Film News. 12 May 2015, 12:41 PM, PDT)
- “The Great Wall” Rises with Matt Damon and Andy Lau (From AsianMoviePulse. 2 May 2015, 1:05 PM, PDT)
- "The Great Wall" Begins Production (From Dark Horizons. 15 April 2015, 6:36 PM, PDT)
Ann Hui (I)
- The Noteworthy: 29 April 2015 (From MUBI. 28 April 2015, 7:02 PM, PDT)
- Daily | Seventh Art, Film Parlato (t) (From Fandor: Keyframe (t). 26 April 2015, 9:51 AM, PDT)
- Daily | Seventh Art, Film Parlato (From Keyframe. 26 April 2015, 9:51 AM, PDT)
Anthony Chau-Sang Wong
- ‘The Golden Era’ Tops Hong Kong Film Awards (From Variety - Film News. 19 April 2015, 5:46 PM, PDT)
- Sandra Ng Rings In The Lunar New Year In Saucy 12 Golden Ducks Trailer (From Twitch. 30 January 2015, 3:40 AM, PST)
- ‘Turtles’, ‘Maze Runner’ Top Int’l Box Office Ahead Of ‘Interstellar’ Start: Final (From Deadline. 3 November 2014, 5:28 PM, PST)