Toast to Freedom, performed by an ensemble of prominent musicians and celebrities, goes on sale
A supergroup of prominent artists and performers are to release a song on Thursday as part of celebrations to commemorate Amnesty International's 50th birthday. Singers including Jane Birkin, Marianne Faithfull and Us country star Rosanne Cash have contributed to the recording, entitled Toast to Freedom.
The commemorative song will celebrate Amnesty International's global human rights work and was initially composed in sessions at Woodstock in upstate New York, in the converted barn studios of the rock musician and human rights campaigner Levon Helm, who died earlier this month.
The release of the fundraising song also helps to mark the long relationship between the Observer and Amnesty, which was founded following a 1961 article in the paper by the lawyer Peter Benenson about two Portuguese students reportedly imprisoned for raising their glasses in the name of freedom. »
- Luke Bainbridge
Similar News ItemsEwan McGregor
- Sponsored: Star Studded Ensemble Powers 'August: Osage County' (From Backstage. 4 December 2013, 1:57 PM, PST)
- The top 10 underappreciated action films of 2013 (From Den of Geek. 3 December 2013, 2:57 AM, PST)
- August: Osage County Movie Review (From ShockYa. 1 December 2013, 11:01 PM, PST)
- Meme: Rory O’Malley Not Worried About Being Typecast, Chris Messina Shakes It On “The Mindy Project,” Elisabeth Hasselbeck Fears Sharia Law Over a Swim Class (From The Backlot. 5 December 2013, 4:27 AM, PST)
- McCartney relives The Beatles' days (From RealBollywood. 5 December 2013, 1:33 AM, PST)
- Peyton Reed Set To Helm ‘The Fifth Beatle,’ On Fab Four Manager Brian Epstein (From Deadline New York. 4 December 2013, 4:43 PM, PST)
- How 'Lilyhammer' Changed the TV World (From Rolling Stone. 5 December 2013, 11:55 AM, PST)
- On Nebraska's poetic road to nowhere in pursuit of a million dollars (From The Guardian - Film News. 30 November 2013, 4:05 PM, PST)
- We've Updated 'The Chanukah Song' with 2013-Appropriate Celebrities (You're Welcome) (From PEOPLE.com. 27 November 2013, 1:00 PM, PST)