'It's a very real exploration of how a couple, the power dynamic changes after five years,' Jason Segel tells MTV News.
By Matt Goodhue, with reporting by Kara Warner
Photo: Universal Pictures
Romantic comedies all seem to follow the same cinematic blueprint: Boy meets girl. Boy and girl fall in love. An obstacle tears them apart. The two overcome all and get together right before the end credits roll.
While movies of this genre are great for a first date, the story can usually be predicted before entering the theater (and perhaps sometimes by just reading the film's title). With Jason Segel and 's latest movie, The Five-Year Engagement, the two stress that the story avoids the traditional, sappy rom-com formula and presents a fresh look at the genre.
"This starts with the engagement," Segel told MTV News. "I think »
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- 12 Movies to Stream on Netflix This Holiday Season (From BuzzSugar. 9 December 2013, 5:30 PM, PST)
- Shout! Factory Unveils 20th Anniversary Edition of The Shadow (From Comicmix. 9 December 2013, 4:17 PM, PST)
- AFI Awards List: An Upscale, Oscar-Friendly Version of the People's Choice Awards (From Alt Film Guide. 9 December 2013, 3:48 PM, PST)
- Three new images from Tom Cruise's Edge of Tomorrow (From Flickeringmyth. 9 December 2013, 3:04 PM, PST)
- Gritty War Photos from 'Edge of Tomorrow' Viral Twitter Before Trailer (From FirstShowing.net. 9 December 2013, 2:15 PM, PST)
- Viral Campaign Releases New Images for Edge Of Tomorrow Starring Tom Cruise; First Trailer Debuts Wednesday (From Collider.com. 9 December 2013, 1:13 PM, PST)
- Extended Video Interview with How I Met Your Mother Star Cristin Milioti (From The Daily BLAM!. 9 December 2013)
- Paul Rudd and Jason Segel Do a Hilarious Interview...Possibly on Drugs (From GeekTyrant. 7 December 2013, 1:00 PM, PST)
- How I Met Your Mother Cast Reimagined as Superheroes - Fan Art (From GeekTyrant. 4 December 2013, 9:30 AM, PST)