As the demise of the Sopa anti-piracy act showed, established arguments for protecting the rights of content creators are almost impossible to apply to a digital world
A casual observer could be forgiven for thinking that major media firms hate technology. They certainly fear it. Since Jack Valenti, the legendary film industry lobbyist, said in 1982 that the Vcr was like the Boston Strangler, preparing to murder the innocents of Hollywood, they have viewed such advances as a Godzilla creature rising from the sea to threaten their existence.
In the past 30 years in the Us, they have lobbied for 15 pieces of legislation aimed at tightening their grip on their content, as technology has moved ever faster to prise their fingers open.
In this seemingly never-ending battle, 18 January 2012 was a defining date, a day when the internet hit back. Mike Masnick, founder of TechDirt and one of Silicon Valley's most well-connected bloggers, »
- Dominic Rushe
Similar News ItemsKim Kardashian
- Is Kris Jenner Taking Over Kimye’s Wedding? (From TheFabLife - Movies. 12 March 2014, 7:52 AM, PDT)
- See Stacy Keibler's Stunning Wedding Photos (From Popsugar. 12 March 2014, 7:32 AM, PDT)
- She Did It Again -- See Kim K's Latest Cleavage-Baring Outfit! (From TooFab. 12 March 2014, 5:47 AM, PDT)
- 'Key & Peele': Expanded season 4 and a potential animated spinoff announced (From EW.com - Inside TV. 12 March 2014, 9:10 AM, PDT)
- Obama 'Easier to Work With' Than Some Celebrities (From newser. 12 March 2014, 7:37 AM, PDT)
- Speed Read: Juan Pablo Responds to the Bachelor Backlash (From Popsugar. 12 March 2014, 5:35 AM, PDT)
"South Park" (1997)
- South Park: The Stick Of Truth – 10 Fan Favourites Missing From The Final Game (From Obsessed with Film. 12 March 2014, 4:03 AM, PDT)
- Benedict Cumberbatch: 10 reasons to love the 'Sherlock' star even more (From Pop2it. 10 March 2014, 9:30 PM, PDT)
- Mike Judge Q&A: Is 'Silicon Valley' pay cable's 'Big Bang Theory'? (From EW.com - Inside TV. 10 March 2014, 11:54 AM, PDT)