While the future of home entertainment may be rapidly moving towards a digital streaming-led future, we can't be the only movie nerds who still love owning a physical copy of something. Sure, BluRay and DVD might be scratchable, easily lost and adorned by terrible box art, but there's something about the feeling of finding an undiscovered gem in the depths of a store, or getting a rarity in the post, that doesn't quite compare to clicking and watching something on Netflix.
As such, starting with this column, every month we're going to pick out five BluRays or DVDs new to the market that no self-respecting cinephile's shelves could do without. Some are shiny new versions of stone-cold classics, some are obscurities, some might even be brand new releases (although less often: those are covered pretty well elsewhere). Read on for more.
Why You Should Care: Simply put, it's one »
- Drew Taylor
Similar News ItemsMartin Scorsese
- Washington DC Film Critics Announce Nominations (From AwardsDaily. 7 December 2013, 4:25 PM, PST)
- Marrakech Fest: South Korea's 'Han Gong-Ju' Takes Top Prize (From The Hollywood Reporter. 7 December 2013, 12:15 PM, PST)
- Martin Scorsese – ‘I Miss The Time When I Had The Desire to Experiment’ (From Variety - Film News. 7 December 2013, 9:48 AM, PST)
- Tom Hanks reveals being fan of 'Doctor Who' during childhood (From RealBollywood. 7 December 2013, 11:37 PM, PST)
- What Saving Mr Banks tells us about the original Mary Poppins (From The Guardian - Film News. 7 December 2013, 12:00 AM, PST)
- Martin Freeman: from Slough to Smaug – then back to Sherlock (From The Guardian - TV News. 6 December 2013, 4:06 PM, PST)
- 2013 L.A. Film Critics (Lafca) Winners and Runners-Up: Live Posting Here (From Alt Film Guide. 7 December 2013, 2:36 PM, PST)
- High-End Genre Fare Breaks Out of Populist Ghetto (From Variety - Film News. 5 December 2013, 11:53 AM, PST)
- Team Fyc: Tye Sheridan for Best Actor (From FilmExperience. 5 December 2013, 5:01 AM, PST)