Many of the photos are the only known images of their subjects, including a group of eight behind-the-scenes colour shots of the filming of the opening sequence of Orson Welles’ 1958 noir classic, Touch of Evil.
Academy boss Ric Robertson says, "Marc’s dedication to preserving a historic photographic record of our industry has resulted in an extraordinary collection.
"We’re honoured to add these images to our library’s holdings. His photographs, so many of which focus on behind-the-scenes studio activities, combined with the existing Herrick photographs, will provide unequalled coverage on all aspects of Hollywood filmmaking."
Bison Archives was named in tribute to the Bison Company, an early motion picture studio, formed in 1909, that produced Westerns featuring Native American casts.
Wanamaker began amassing the collection in 1971, while he was researching a book on the history of the American motion picture studios.
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Watch: Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, and Terence Winter Talk Wolf Of Wall Street, Spielberg on Set, and More (From Collider.com. 4 December 2013, 12:24 PM, PST)
- Face-Melting Art for Raiders Of The Lost Ark (From GeekTyrant. 4 December 2013, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Top Ten Funniest Food Moments in Film (From HeyUGuys. 4 December 2013, 4:06 AM, PST)
Alfred Hitchcock (I)
- You're Old: Gus Van Sant's 'Psycho' Came Out 15 Years Ago This Week (From Movies.com. 4 December 2013, 3:00 PM, PST)
- Vast majority of Hollywood silent films lost forever, study confirms (From The Guardian - Film News. 4 December 2013, 4:38 AM, PST)
- Kent on Marilyn: 'a totally insignificant little blonde' off-screen (From Alt Film Guide. 4 December 2013, 1:13 AM, PST)
- Without Theatres: ‘Oki’s Movie’ exemplifies bewildered love and autobiography (From SoundOnSight. 4 December 2013, 9:47 PM, PST)
- (From Alt Film Guide. 4 December 2013, 7:25 PM, PST)
- The top 25 underappreciated films of 2001 (From Den of Geek. 4 December 2013, 1:17 AM, PST)