The star auditioned for the role of mobster Bobby 'Bacala' Baccalieri during the late 1990s, when he wasn't the big guy he became.
But, because the show's script included several jokes about the character's burgeoning waistline, producers asked Schirripa to don a thick bodysuit to keep the storyline in check.
The actor reveals, "I got the role, and I got the script, and then I saw all these references, that Tony (Soprano, lead character) would say to me, 'You're fat this, you're fat that, you're a calzone with legs.' And I'm going, 'I'm not that much fatter than him.'
"Then they called me a couple of days before the shoot, and they said, 'Come on down, you've got to get fitted for a fat suit.' So, (for the) first two seasons I wore a fat suit."
However, as the series progressed, the Hereafter star's eating habits caught up to him and he filled out the role on his own.
He adds, "I guess they thought I got fat enough on my own and I didn't wear it anymore."
Similar News Items"The Sopranos" (1999)
- Dark Horse & HBO to Release Game Of Thrones Hand of the Queen Pin (From DailyDead. 7 December 2016, 10:03 AM, PST)
- ‘Gilmore Girls’: That Ending Was Perfect, and We Need to Accept It (From Indiewire. 28 November 2016, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Modern tribes: the box set bore (From The Guardian - TV News. 26 November 2016, 12:00 AM, PST)
- Oscars: ‘Rogue One,’ ‘Suicide Squad,’ ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Advance in Visual Effects Race (From Variety - Film News. 2 December 2016, 10:51 AM, PST)
- Nbr Loves Manchester by the Sea (From FilmExperience. 29 November 2016, 1:06 PM, PST)
- Directors' Trademarks: Clint Eastwood (From Cinelinx. 28 September 2016, 4:07 PM, PDT)
- Max Casella Joins Woody Allen’s Untitled Film; Gilbert Owuor Cast In ‘Mute’ (From Deadline. 28 September 2016, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Steven Schirripa Joins Next Woody Allen Movie, Setting Up ‘Sopranos’ Reunion (From Deadline. 23 September 2016, 4:42 PM, PDT)
- The $100,0000 Pyramid Season One Ratings (From TVSeriesFinale. 27 June 2016, 1:33 PM, PDT)