"I want to thank three persons,” said Michel Hazanavicius, accepting the 2012 Best Picture Oscar for “The Artist.” “I want to thank Billy Wilder, I want to thank Billy Wilder and I want to thank Billy Wilder.” He wasn’t the first director to namecheck Wilder in an acceptance speech. In 1994, Fernando Trueba, accepting the Foreign Language Film Oscar for "Belle Epoque" quipped, "I would like to believe in God in order to thank him. But I just believe in Billy Wilder... so, thank you Mr. Wilder." Wilder reportedly called the next day "Fernando? It's God."
So just what exactly was it that inspired these men to expend some of the most valuable seconds of speechifying airtime they'll ever know, to tip their hats to Wilder? And can we bottle it?
Born in a region of Austria/Hungary that is now part of Poland, Wilder's story feels like an archetype of »
- Oliver Lyttelton
Similar News Items"Mad Men" (2007)
- ’12 Years a Slave,’ ‘Breaking Bad’ Lead SAG Nominations (From Variety - Film News. 11 December 2013, 10:34 AM, PST)
- SAG Award TV nominations: Snubs and surprises (From EW.com - Inside TV. 11 December 2013, 9:27 AM, PST)
- This week's cover: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler take over EW! (From EW.com - PopWatch. 11 December 2013, 9:00 AM, PST)
Harrison Ford (I)
- Cameron Diaz buys $9mn home (From RealBollywood. 11 December 2013, 5:36 PM, PST)
- Producer Frank Marshall hints at Indiana Jones 5 (From Flickeringmyth. 11 December 2013, 3:18 PM, PST)
- Flickering Myth at Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues' red carpet Live! (From Flickeringmyth. 11 December 2013, 12:40 PM, PST)
- Exclusive: Marilyn Monroe Sings in George Cukor Retrospective Trailer for 'Let's Make Love' (From Indiewire. 11 December 2013, 8:49 AM, PST)
- 2013 ACAs live blog: Danica Patrick, winners list and more (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 10 December 2013, 4:45 PM, PST)
- The Second-Hand Illusion: Notes on Cukor (From MUBI. 10 December 2013, 10:13 AM, PST)