In "The Hunger Games," the future of North America (called Panem) is grim. For proof, look no further than the titular televised battle to the death that the Capitol puts on for sport. Teens killing teens? Hilarious!
The shocking thing is that the post-apocalyptic future Katniss Everdeen inhabits is far from the bleakest or most bizarre dystopia in movie history. The following 15 movies teach us one basic truth: Be afraid, very afraid of the future -- particularly genetic mutations, man-made viruses, and nuclear holocausts.
1. '12 Monkeys' (1995)
Setting: 2035 America
Why the Future Sucks: Forty years after a man-made virus has wiped out 99 percent of the population, humans have escaped Earth's uninhabitable surface by living in locked underground chambers. Scientists figure out a way to send a convicted criminal (Bruce Willis) to the past to stop the disease, but with a set-up like that, what could go right? After his mission turns haywire, »
- Sandie Angulo Chen
Similar News ItemsThe Hunger Games (2012)
- Dead of Summer Season 1 Episode 10 Review: She Talks To Angels (From TVfanatic. 31 August 2016, 2:52 AM, PDT)
- Jena Malone Announces Her Engagement With Help From Her 3-Month-Old Son (From Popsugar. 30 August 2016, 5:05 PM, PDT)
- Sarah Paulson in negotiations to join cast of Ocean’s Eight (From Flickeringmyth. 26 August 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Video: Thor and Bruce Banner's Whereabouts During Captain America: Civil War Explained (From CineMovie. 30 August 2016, 5:34 PM, PDT)
- Ghostbusters (2016) Extended Edition 4K, Blu-ray, and Digital Release Details & Cover Art (From DailyDead. 30 August 2016, 5:01 PM, PDT)
- Win a holiday to the Gold Coast and a walk-on role in Thor: Ragnarok (From IF.com.au. 30 August 2016, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- Wamg Giveaway – Win the Blu-ray of Marauders Starring Bruce Willis and Christopher Meloni (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 30 August 2016, 8:30 PM, PDT)
- Bruce Willis & Hayden Christensen team up for generically-titled First Kill (From JoBlo. 30 August 2016, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- Vincent D’Onofrio and Dean Norris join Bruce Willis in the Death Wish remake (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2016, 10:30 AM, PDT)