This is a reprint of our review from the Venice Film Festival in 2011.
In recent years, film translations of stage hits haven't been as prevalent as they once were. You might get the occasional "Doubt" or "Rabbit Hole," for instance, but compared to the early days of the talkies, when a large proportion of movies were based on Broadway hits, it's been slim pickings; audiences and critics have learned that most attempts at stage-to-screen translation fail to make the material truly cinematic.
It's been odd, then, to note the prevalence of theatrical adaptations at the Venice Film Festival. George Clooney's "The Ides Of March" is loosely adapted from the play "Farragut North," and manages better than most to open the stage version up, while Roman Polanski took on Yasmin Reza's "Carnage," and David Cronenberg turned Christopher Hampton's "The Talking Cure" into "A Dangerous Method." But the organizers have »
- Oliver Lyttelton
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- 'Imitation Game' wins the festival and 7 other takeaways from Telluride 2014 (From Hitfix. 1 September 2014, 10:28 PM, PDT)
- George Clooney Visits Hospital as Back Injury Continues to Act Up Years After Filming Syriana—Get the Details! (From E! Online. 31 August 2014, 7:51 PM, PDT)
- Venice Film Festival’s U.S. Presence Subdued, Art Pics Dominate (From Variety - Film News. 31 August 2014, 12:19 PM, PDT)
- Production begins on Magic Mike Xxl (From Den of Geek. 1 September 2014, 10:32 PM, PDT)
- Best Actor Oscar race heats up in Telluride (From Hitfix. 1 September 2014, 12:34 AM, PDT)
- 5 reasons why the Emmys are better than the Oscars (From Gold Derby. 30 August 2014, 4:44 AM, PDT)
- Cronenberg's Cannes Winner 'Maps to the Stars' Takes Focus World Route, Skips Oscars (From Thompson on Hollywood. 1 September 2014, 7:33 PM, PDT)
- Focus World Acquires Julianne Moore's 'Maps to the Stars' (From The Hollywood Reporter. 1 September 2014, 6:11 PM, PDT)
- David Cronenberg’s Maps To The Stars Acquired by Focus World for Early 2015 Release (From Collider.com. 1 September 2014, 5:37 PM, PDT)