This is a reprint of our review from the Venice Film Festival in 2011.
In recent years, film translations of stage hits haven't been as prevalent as they once were. You might get the occasional "Doubt" or "Rabbit Hole," for instance, but compared to the early days of the talkies, when a large proportion of movies were based on Broadway hits, it's been slim pickings; audiences and critics have learned that most attempts at stage-to-screen translation fail to make the material truly cinematic.
It's been odd, then, to note the prevalence of theatrical adaptations at the Venice Film Festival. George Clooney's "The Ides Of March" is loosely adapted from the play "Farragut North," and manages better than most to open the stage version up, while Roman Polanski took on Yasmin Reza's "Carnage," and David Cronenberg turned Christopher Hampton's "The Talking Cure" into "A Dangerous Method." But the organizers have »
- Oliver Lyttelton
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- Sandra Bullock Cast as Lead in 'Our Brand Is Crisis' (From MovieWeb. 21 August 2014, 4:03 PM, PDT)
- Sandra Bullock joins David Gordon Green's 'Our Brand Is Crisis' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 21 August 2014, 3:13 PM, PDT)
- Sandra Bullock & David Gordon Green Team for 'Our Brand is Crisis' (From FirstShowing.net. 21 August 2014, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- It's Time to Reignite Your Secret Crush on True Detective's Rust Cohle (From BuzzSugar. 21 August 2014, 3:02 PM, PDT)
- Emmy predictions slugfest: All 26 categories in a 30-minute video smackdown (From Gold Derby. 21 August 2014, 2:44 PM, PDT)
- Emmy Predictions: Who Will Win Monday Night (From Variety - TV News. 21 August 2014, 2:21 PM, PDT)
- New York Film Festival 2014: Maps To The Stars Gets A Trailer (From ShockYa. 21 August 2014, 12:27 PM, PDT)
- Director David Jung Gives a Look Into The Possession of Michael King (From Dread Central. 21 August 2014, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive Poster Variant for Promiscuities; See the Film Now! (From Dread Central. 20 August 2014, 12:54 PM, PDT)