This is a reprint of our review from the Venice Film Festival in 2011.
In recent years, film translations of stage hits haven't been as prevalent as they once were. You might get the occasional "Doubt" or "Rabbit Hole," for instance, but compared to the early days of the talkies, when a large proportion of movies were based on Broadway hits, it's been slim pickings; audiences and critics have learned that most attempts at stage-to-screen translation fail to make the material truly cinematic.
It's been odd, then, to note the prevalence of theatrical adaptations at the Venice Film Festival. George Clooney's "The Ides Of March" is loosely adapted from the play "Farragut North," and manages better than most to open the stage version up, while Roman Polanski took on Yasmin Reza's "Carnage," and David Cronenberg turned Christopher Hampton's "The Talking Cure" into "A Dangerous Method." But the organizers have »
- Oliver Lyttelton
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- A Most Wanted Man – The Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 July 2014, 6:54 PM, PDT)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice Ben Affleck As Batman – Photo (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 July 2014, 4:04 PM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck's Batman Cowl On Display At Comic-Con, Zack Snyder Shares New 'Batman V Superman' Photo (From Uinterview. 23 July 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Screen Talk Report from Halls of Comic-Con, 'The Giver' and Other Oscar Possibilities (From Thompson on Hollywood. 25 July 2014, 9:49 AM, PDT)
- Emmy Episode Analysis: Matthew McConaughey ('True Detective') sees the light in 'Form and Void' (From Gold Derby. 25 July 2014, 9:38 AM, PDT)
- Interstellar Comic-Con Panel: Christopher Nolan and Matthew McConaughey (From GeekTyrant. 25 July 2014, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- 'Hannibal' survivors come to Comic-Con: live-blog (From Hitfix. 24 July 2014, 4:44 PM, PDT)
- Tiff 2014. Official Lineup (From MUBI. 24 July 2014, 2:48 PM, PDT)
- A Little Chaos unfolds at 2014 Tiff Galas and Special Presentations (From Flickeringmyth. 23 July 2014, 4:26 PM, PDT)