An arthouse cinema that 'balances a sense of arty affectation with a homey, accessible vibe'
• Check out our Google map and flickr group
Every week we invite our readers to tell us about where they go to watch films. This week it's the turn of Edwin Davies, who writes about film at A Mighty Fine Blog.
Based opposite the train station in Sheffield, the Showroom manages to be right at the centre of the city yet just far enough away to feel like it's off the beaten track. That sense of being accessible but also outside the mainstream extends to the whole feel of the cinema, which balances a sense of arty affectation with a homey, accessible vibe.
Occupying an art deco structure that was originally a car dealership, the Showroom was converted into a cinema in the early '90s and boasts four screens, a bar and a cafe, »
Similar News ItemsWerner Herzog
- Artificial Eye co-founder Pamela Engel dies aged 82 (From ScreenDaily. 17 July 2017, 9:59 AM, PDT)
- 5 Amazing New Genre Films Under 10 Minutes Long — Fantasia 2017 (From Indiewire. 15 July 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- The Lost City of Z (From Trailers from Hell. 11 July 2017, 11:12 AM, PDT)
- Newswire: Tonight, The A.V. Club show talks teen spirit and the cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson (From The AV Club. 25 May 2017, 11:22 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Spaceship writer/director Alex Taylor talks teenage outsiders and the film’s musical connection (From HeyUGuys. 17 May 2017, 4:07 AM, PDT)
- Iggy Pop and Josh Homme Unite in American Valhalla Documentary Trailer (From MovieWeb. 8 May 2017, 3:12 PM, PDT)
Four Lions (2010)
- First poster and trailer for British horror The Ritual (From Flickeringmyth. 6 July 2017, 7:44 AM, PDT)
- Rafe Spall stars in debut trailer for The Ritual (From HeyUGuys. 6 July 2017, 7:07 AM, PDT)
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Return For Sherlock Season 5 – But Only After Steven Moffat Resurrects Dracula (From We Got This Covered. 29 June 2017, 8:39 AM, PDT)