You're getting too old for this: 25 years ago, on March 6, 1987, "Lethal Weapon" was released. The buddy-cop thriller not only cemented Mel Gibson's status as a household name after playing good-natured loose-canon (as opposed to now) Martin Riggs, but also created a social phenomenon still relevant to this day: "I'm getting too old for this shit."
The catchphrase, said numerous times throughout the "Lethal Weapon" series by Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover), has appeared in many movies over the last 25 years, often times in reference to the put-upon police detective himself. (The recent trailer for "Men In Black 3" features Will Smith uttering a PG variation on Murtaugh's famous one-liner.)
What you might not know? That "Lethal Weapon" wasn't the first film to utilize some form of the defeated turn-of-phrase. From "North by Northwest" and "The Sting" to Murtaugh himself, enjoy a mash-up of movie characters getting too old for this.
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- 'Star Wars Rebels' Series Inspired by Ralph McQuarrie Art; May Also Be Tied to Future 'Star Wars' Movies (From Movies.com. 21 May 2013, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- Criminal Minds Boss Previews Finale Face-Off With The Replicator: 'He Throws the First Punch' (From TVLine.com. 21 May 2013, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Star Wars 7 May Have Its First New Cast Member (From Cinelinx. 21 May 2013, 9:31 AM, PDT)
Mel Gibson (I)
- Sylvester Stallone Hitting Up Steven Seagal For The Expendables 3 (From We Got This Covered. 20 May 2013, 2:03 PM, PDT)
- To be or not to be? Hrithik confirmed not to play Hamlet after all! (From Bollyspice. 19 May 2013, 9:24 AM, PDT)
- We Are Northern Lights Review (From Obsessed with Film. 17 May 2013, 12:12 PM, PDT)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
- Toronto Start For "Crimson Peak" - July 2013 (From SneakPeek. 15 May 2013, 10:10 AM, PDT)
- Top 10 games that should be movies – and their ideal directors (From The Guardian - Film News. 15 May 2013, 7:40 AM, PDT)
- Kathryn Bigelow, Jon Avnet, Anne Coates Tapped For AFI Degrees (From Variety - Film News. 14 May 2013, 9:00 AM, PDT)