He had title role in The Life and Times of David Lloyd George and featured in 'Don't tell him, Pike' scene in Dad's Army
The Welsh actor Philip Madoc has died aged 77, his agent said.
His agent, Michael Hallet, said: "He passed away in hospital in Hertfordshire this morning after a short illness with his family around him. He will be hugely missed by everybody."
Madoc played a captured U-boat captain in an episode of Dad's Army in which he asked the names of his captors, prompting a furious Captain Mainwaring to shout the famous line: "Don't tell him, Pike."
The Merthyr Tydfil-born actor gained a reputation for playing villains, but insisted he did not mind. He said in one interview: "Certainly, »
Similar News Items"Doctor Who" (1963)
- Star Trek Continues: A Great Web Series and a Great Homage (From Cinelinx. 28 May 2016, 8:07 PM, PDT)
- 20 years ago today: The ‘Doctor Who’ TV movie was a light in the dark 1990s (From Hitfix. 27 May 2016, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Preview of Doctor Who: The Fourth Doctor #3 (From Flickeringmyth. 26 May 2016, 11:30 PM, PDT)
"Dad's Army" (1968)
- Dad's Army review (From Den of Geek. 3 February 2016, 10:13 AM, PST)
- Norman Longmate: 'Dad's Army was a strikingly accurate portrayal of the Home Guard' (From The Guardian - TV News. 2 February 2016, 4:00 AM, PST)
- Dad's Army soldiers on – and it's still a sitcom masterclass (From The Guardian - TV News. 29 January 2016, 7:33 AM, PST)
- 10 Worst Guest Stars In Doctor Who History (From Obsessed with Film. 26 January 2015, 2:50 AM, PST)
- Doctor Who Re-Viewed: Peter Cushing's 'Dalekmania' movies (From Digital Spy - TV news. 22 August 2014, 1:30 AM, PDT)
- Doctor Who Re-Viewed: Peter Cushing's 'Dalekmania' movies (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 22 August 2014, 1:30 AM, PDT)