Do watch that through to the end.
By now, you'll have heard the news: "Davy Jones of the Monkees has died of an apparent heart attack at age 66," reports Andy Greene for Rolling Stone. "Jones was born in Manchester, England and started acting as a child, though he got his big break in 1965 when he joined The Monkees. The group had a hugely successful television series, and a slew of hit songs in the late 1960s. At their peak in 1967 they sold more records than the Beatles."
The Monkees followed the series, of course, with Head (1968), "arguably the most authentically psychedelic film made in 1960s Hollywood," as Chuck Stephens writes in an essay for Criterion, still one of the best pieces on the film yet written: "Head seemed at first glance to have been dreamt up by and made expressly for fun-loving dopers, a live-action Duck Amuck filled with more 'far out! »
Similar News ItemsJack Nicholson (I)
- The Definitive Original Screenplays: 10-1 (From SoundOnSight. 16 March 2014, 9:19 PM, PDT)
- Bob Thomas, Veteran Entertainment Journalist, Dies (From PEOPLE.com. 14 March 2014, 6:15 AM, PDT)
- Guy Pearce Joins Johnny Depp in 'Black Mass' (From MovieWeb. 13 March 2014, 5:22 PM, PDT)
Davy Jones (I)
- Nycc Starz Panel: “Black Sails,” “Outlander,” & “Da Vinci’s Demons” (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 21 October 2013, 5:05 PM, PDT)
- It's Backstreet Boy Kevin Richardson's birthday: Your mother reacts (From EW.com - PopWatch. 3 October 2013, 3:25 PM, PDT)
- Sky Sports Football boss: Alex Ferguson would be a fascinating pundit (From Digital Spy - TV news. 12 July 2013, 2:28 AM, PDT)
Andy Greene (II)
- Free Stuff: Win Tickets To Halloween “Nosferatu” Screening! (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 28 October 2013, 11:36 AM, PDT)
- Free Stuff: Online Screener Giveaway For Vincenzo Natali’s “Haunter” (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 22 October 2013, 12:14 PM, PDT)
- John Oliver Takes Over (From Huffington Post. 3 June 2013, 7:12 AM, PDT)