Familiar history gets a new twist in Clifford Beal's debut novel Gideon's Angel, recently acquired by Solaris for publication in 2013.
Described as The Day of the Jackal meets The Devil Rides Out, this swashbuckling historical fantasy set in the aftermath of the English Civil War of the mid-17th century sees science and alchemy as strange bedfellows with witchcraft and magic.
Set in England in 1653, it follows Colonel Richard Treadwell, an exiled Royalist officer in the service of Cardinal Mazarin, as he secretly returns home from France to assassinate Oliver Cromwell, now king in all but name.
But a secret army run by a deluded Puritan is bent on the same quest, guided by the Devil's hand. When demonic entities are summoned, Treadwell must switch allegiances to save Cromwell and stop England descending into hell. First he must convince the man sent to bring him back to the Cardinal: A young king's musketeer named d'Artagnan. »
- David Bentley
Similar News ItemsThe Devil Rides Out (1968)
- ‘A Dark Song’ DVD Review (From Blogomatic3000. 14 September 2017, 8:01 AM, PDT)
- The Lair of the White Worm (From Trailers from Hell. 28 January 2017, 2:58 PM, PST)
- A Halloween Electric Dreamhouse (From Trailers from Hell. 30 October 2016, 12:11 PM, PDT)
The Day of the Jackal (1973)
- Review: "The Day Of The Jackal" (1973) Starring Edward Fox And Michel Lonsdale; UK Blu-ray Arrow Films Special Edition (From CinemaRetro. 27 August 2017, 6:49 AM, PDT)
- The Day of the Jackal (From Trailers from Hell. 29 April 2017, 11:14 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘The Wall’ (From Variety - Film News. 28 April 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
Jon Oliver (I)
- Newswire: Be prepared: Chiwetel Ejiofor might play Scar in the Lion King reboot (From The AV Club. 2 August 2017, 6:08 PM, PDT)
- 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee': TV Review (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 9 February 2016, 12:33 AM, PST)
- Jon Stewart Is Coming to HBO (From Vulture. 3 November 2015, 10:21 AM, PST)