There’s plenty of delightful news surrounding Japan’s Studio Ghibli this week. First, The Secret World of Arrietty, the studio’s first feature release since Ponyo in 2008, will make its U.S. debut this weekend. On top of that, animation master Hayao Miyazaki and company have also hinted at some new, very different projects in the works.
Based on reports filtered down from AnimeNewsNetwork, a Ghibli producer revealed that Miyazaki’s son, director Gorō Miyazaki, (Tales from Earthsea, the 2011 Tiff selection From Up on Poppy Hill) is in the planning stages of an animated samurai film that combines fact with fiction and will be set in the “northeastern Tohoku region of Japan during the Middle Ages.” The work seems like a departure for Ghibli, a studio known for creating highly imaginative fantasy worlds like those in Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away since its founding in the mid-80s.
In his blog, »
- email@example.com (thefilmstage.com)
Similar News ItemsHayao Miyazaki
- Stars reveal their criminally underrated entertainment picks (From EW.com - PopWatch. 14 March 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Japan’s Tezuka Respins ‘Astro Boy’ For Africa (From Variety - TV News. 12 March 2014, 6:47 PM, PDT)
- The Tivoli ‘Reel Late’ Midnight Series Begins April 4th (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 11 March 2014, 8:45 PM, PDT)
Studio Ghibli [jp]
- Despite Auds’ Dedication to Hand-Drawn Animation, CG Is Slowly Making Inroads in Japan (From Variety - Film News. 14 March 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Gkids Nab Another Ghibli with Takahata’s The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (From ioncinema. 12 March 2014, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- Review: Kiki's Delivery Service Fails to Fly (From Twitch. 12 March 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
Spirited Away (2001)
- The top 25 underappreciated films of 2011 (From Den of Geek. 12 March 2014, 4:15 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘The Oscar-Nominated Short Films 2014: Animated’ (From Variety - Film News. 2 March 2014, 3:22 AM, PST)
- Film Review: Wondrous Last Act for Hayao Miyazaki in ‘The Wind Rises’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 1 March 2014, 6:59 AM, PST)