In the visual vocabulary of film, there are few techniques that both serve as both a story point as well as engaging imagery. Traditionally, the reveal shot consists of pulling back from a tightly framed shot to reveal a larger framing, exposing a greater context with often epiphanous implications to the audience – and in some cases – the on-screen characters. There is a bit of delight and excitement when you find out a story is bigger than previously thought.
The Use of Reveals
Regardless of genre, a reveal is an effective story-telling technique. There are many different types of reveals and they can be subtle or a gag. A reveal allows for a quick, economical, visual exposition and can convey story points. Revealing can also allows a filmmaker let the viewer “in” on portions a piece of information that perhaps the main protagonist is not yet aware of.
The Pull-back Reveal: »
- Merrel Davis
Similar News ItemsSimon Pegg
- Watch Exclusive Clip From Leonard Nimoy Documentary ‘For the Love of Spock’ (From Variety - Film News. 25 August 2016, 10:03 AM, PDT)
- Watch Zoe Saldana's Hilarious Dubsmash Featuring Her Husband and Sons (From E! Online. 23 August 2016, 4:27 PM, PDT)
- New to Streaming: ‘Love & Friendship,’ ‘A Bigger Splash,’ ‘Lo and Behold,’ ‘Morris From America,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 19 August 2016, 8:23 AM, PDT)
- ‘A United Kingdom’ Trailer: David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike Fight For Love & Country (From Indiewire. 25 August 2016, 7:39 AM, PDT)
- DC Announces All-Day Live Stream Event, Is Major Movie News Coming? (From MovieWeb. 23 August 2016, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Newswire: The Russo brothers are also #TeamKendrick when it comes to Squirrel Girl casting (From The AV Club. 19 August 2016, 6:12 AM, PDT)
"Doctor Who" (2005)
- David Tennant joins Dean Devlin’s Bad Samaritan (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2016, 10:45 PM, PDT)
- David Tennant Signs On For Dean Devlin’s Bad Samaritan (From We Got This Covered. 26 August 2016, 9:29 AM, PDT)
- Amazon nabs The Kettering Incident for North America (From IF.com.au. 25 August 2016, 10:27 PM, PDT)