The movie, which Welles directed and starred in, landed nine Oscar nominations following its release in 1941, but only claimed gold for Best Original Screenplay.
The actor/filmmaker lost the statuette, but it resurfaced nine years after his 1985 death when it was put up for auction by a cinematographer who claimed to have been given it by Welles as a form of payment.
Welles' daughter, Beatrice, reclaimed the Oscar and after a legal battle with bosses of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, she was granted permission to sell it on.
It was part of a Hollywood memorabilia sale at Los Angeles' Nate D. Sanders auction house on Tuesday and a mystery bidder paid out $861,542 (£549,721) for the trophy, after fighting off competition from famed magician David Copperfield.
Auction house owner Nate D. Sanders says, "This is a testament to the popularity of Orson Welles and his magnum opus Citizen Kane. I'm proud to have represented this fantastic award to the cinema collecting community."
Similar News ItemsOrson Welles
- From Actor to "Action!", Exploring the Debuts of 19 Actors-Turned-Directors (From Rope Of Silicon. 21 April 2015, 10:30 AM, PDT)
- 13 British comedy stars lured to Hollywood in the 1990s (From Den of Geek. 20 April 2015, 10:52 AM, PDT)
- Images Festival 2015 (From MUBI. 18 April 2015, 7:14 AM, PDT)
Citizen Kane (1941)
- 10 Bizarre Favourite Films Of Great Directors (From Obsessed with Film. 21 April 2015, 7:11 AM, PDT)
- Daily | Goings On | Vertigo, Hou, Antonioni (t) (From Fandor: Keyframe (t). 19 April 2015, 8:51 AM, PDT)
- Daily | Goings On | Vertigo, Hou, Antonioni (From Keyframe. 19 April 2015, 8:51 AM, PDT)
David Copperfield (I)
- Magic Castle at Center of Family Fight Over Profits (From The Hollywood Reporter. 10 April 2015, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Colin Firth Movie from ‘Theory of Everything’ Director Heads BBC Films’ New Slate (From Variety - Film News. 25 March 2015, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- David Copperfield -- Swimming Pool Disaster ... Floods Entire High Rise (From TMZ. 21 March 2015, 12:40 AM, PDT)