The movie, which Welles directed and starred in, landed nine Oscar nominations following its release in 1941, but only claimed gold for Best Original Screenplay.
The actor/filmmaker lost the statuette, but it resurfaced nine years after his 1985 death when it was put up for auction by a cinematographer who claimed to have been given it by Welles as a form of payment.
Welles' daughter, Beatrice, reclaimed the Oscar and after a legal battle with bosses of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, she was granted permission to sell it on.
It was part of a Hollywood memorabilia sale at Los Angeles' Nate D. Sanders auction house on Tuesday and a mystery bidder paid out $861,542 (£549,721) for the trophy, after fighting off competition from famed magician David Copperfield.
Auction house owner Nate D. Sanders says, "This is a testament to the popularity of Orson Welles and his magnum opus Citizen Kane. I'm proud to have represented this fantastic award to the cinema collecting community."
Similar News ItemsOrson Welles
- Review: Monsterland (From shocktillyoudrop. 27 May 2016, 8:18 AM, PDT)
- The Flash season 2: unpacking the mysteries of the finale (From Den of Geek. 25 May 2016, 4:54 AM, PDT)
- The Newsstand – Episode 59 – The August 2016 Criterion Collection Line-up, Cat People, Cannes, and More! (From CriterionCast. 20 May 2016, 5:00 AM, PDT)
Citizen Kane (1941)
- Watch William Friedkin’s 80-Minute Masterclass From the 2016 Cannes Film Festival (From The Film Stage. 24 May 2016, 11:17 AM, PDT)
- Watch: 7-Minute Supercut Of The BBC’s 100 Greatest American Films (From The Playlist. 24 May 2016, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- Book Review: “TCM Presents The Essentials—52 Must-see Movies And Why They Matter” (2016; by Jeremy Arnold; Foreword by Robert Osborne) (Running Press) (From CinemaRetro. 16 May 2016, 3:10 AM, PDT)
David Copperfield (I)
- Performer of the Week: Keri Russell (From TVLine.com. 7 May 2016, 6:27 AM, PDT)
- ‘The Americans,’ ‘David Copperfield’ and the Trick the Drama Pulled Off (From Variety - TV News. 5 May 2016, 9:57 AM, PDT)
- Review: 'The Americans' just aired its best episode ever (From Hitfix. 4 May 2016, 8:12 PM, PDT)