The movie, which Welles directed and starred in, landed nine Oscar nominations following its release in 1941, but only claimed gold for Best Original Screenplay.
The actor/filmmaker lost the statuette, but it resurfaced nine years after his 1985 death when it was put up for auction by a cinematographer who claimed to have been given it by Welles as a form of payment.
Welles' daughter, Beatrice, reclaimed the Oscar and after a legal battle with bosses of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, she was granted permission to sell it on.
It was part of a Hollywood memorabilia sale at Los Angeles' Nate D. Sanders auction house on Tuesday and a mystery bidder paid out $861,542 (£549,721) for the trophy, after fighting off competition from famed magician David Copperfield.
Auction house owner Nate D. Sanders says, "This is a testament to the popularity of Orson Welles and his magnum opus Citizen Kane. I'm proud to have represented this fantastic award to the cinema collecting community."
Similar News ItemsOrson Welles
- I Can't Get Excited for This Just Yet (From Rope Of Silicon. 18 April 2014, 1:06 PM, PDT)
- Michael Fassbender And Marion Cotillard Prepare For Murder In First Images from Macbeth (From We Got This Covered. 18 April 2014, 12:25 PM, PDT)
- Liev Schreiber And Jaden Smith Will Topline Slavery Pic The Good Lord Bird (From We Got This Covered. 16 April 2014, 5:52 AM, PDT)
Citizen Kane (1941)
- New on DVD/Blu-ray: 'Ride Along' with Kevin Hart, and Go Vintage Noir with 'Touch of Evil' (From Movies.com. 15 April 2014, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- Revisiting The Beatles'classic film, 'A Hard Day's Night,' at 50 (From Hitfix. 15 April 2014, 9:37 AM, PDT)
- Which Movie Does Everybody Else Seem To Love That You Just Don’t? (From Obsessed with Film. 15 April 2014, 6:29 AM, PDT)
David Copperfield (I)
- President Obama and Kevin Bacon Get Viral Videos, The Bachelor Disappoints, and One Naked Jake Gyllenhaal (From ReelzChannel. 11 March 2014, 4:41 PM, PDT)
- Andy Samberg Got a Bizarre Wedding Gift (From Popsugar. 11 March 2014, 12:35 PM, PDT)
- Andy Samberg and Seth Meyers Debate David Copperfield's Penis: ‘Magic’ or ‘Hung Like a Rhinocerous’ (Video) (From The Wrap. 11 March 2014, 7:36 AM, PDT)