Prolific journalist and author whose novels were often adapted for the big screen, has died
Gilbert Adair, the acclaimed critic who had some of his own novels turned into successful films, has died aged 66.
Adair won the respect of cineastes with volumes such as A Night at the Pictures (1985), Myths & Memories (1986), Hollywood's Vietnam (1981), Flickers (1995), Surfing the Zeitgeist (1997) and with his translation of the letters of François Truffaut (published in 1990). He was a prolific journalist, writing a regular column for the Sunday Times in the 1990s, as well as for this paper – last year he interviewed the French film-maker Alain Resnais.
It was in cinematic adaptation that he found wider fame: the 1997 film Love and Death on Long Island, starring John Hurt as mordant writer Giles De'Ath, and Jason Priestley as the teen star he strikes up a friendship with, was based on Adair's 1990 novel of the same name.
- Catherine Shoard
Similar News ItemsJohn Malkovich
- Trailer & poster for action thriller ‘Unlocked’ (From Blogomatic3000. 11 February 2017, 2:25 PM, PST)
- Noomi Rapace and Orlando Bloom Team Up in Trailer for ‘Unlocked’ (From The Film Stage. 10 February 2017, 10:10 AM, PST)
- Noomi Rapace and Orlando Bloom action thriller Unlocked gets poster and trailer (From Flickeringmyth. 10 February 2017, 9:20 AM, PST)
- New to Streaming: ‘Jackie,’ ‘Fences,’ ‘I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 24 February 2017, 8:07 AM, PST)
- Oscars 2017: Sara Bareilles to Perform During 'In Memoriam' -- Why It Will Be the Saddest Ever (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 February 2017, 1:06 PM, PST)
- Movie Theaters Plot Trump Protest With '1984' Screenings (From Rolling Stone. 21 February 2017, 9:42 AM, PST)
- The dark arts of poster billing (From Den of Geek. 19 February 2017, 4:07 AM, PST)
- Films that led to other films being cancelled (From Den of Geek. 9 February 2017, 2:40 AM, PST)
- Mandy Moore and Shane West Look Back on A Walk to Remember 15 Years Later (From PEOPLE.com. 25 January 2017, 1:08 PM, PST)