The Cowardly Lion's costume has become the latest Wizard Of Oz item to go under the hammer at an upcoming Hollywood memorabilia auction.
The outfit, worn by Bert Lahr in the classic movie, has been reunited with the ruby slippers and pinafore dress Judy Garland wore as Dorothy in the film for the Icons of Hollywood sale at Profiles in History in California, scheduled for 15 and 16 December.
Profiles boss Joe Maddalena tells WENN, "This costume was worn when the Cowardly Lion first meets Dorothy on the Yellow Brick Road and sings If I Only Had the Nerve... Just like the ruby slippers we offer in the same auction that Dorothy wore when she clicked her heels together and returned to Kansas, this Cowardly Lion costume is very special because it was worn in some of the most magical moments of the film. It is one of only two known costumes worn by Bert Lahr."
The costume, made from an actual lion hide, is expected to sell for more than $2 million (£1.25 million).
Other items going under the hammer at the auction include the lavish trailer Elizabeth Taylor used as a home from home on the set of 1963 movie Cleopatra; Taylor and Eddie Fisher's marriage license from their Las Vegas wedding; Steve McQueen's two-piece Gulf racing suit from film classic Le Mans; Marilyn Monroe's wedding ring; Bela Lugosi's Count Dracula cape, and the DeLorean sports car from Back to the Future III.
Similar News ItemsMarilyn Monroe
- The Details of JFK's "Affair" With Marilyn Monroe Are Way More Chill Than We've Been Told (From Popsugar. 25 September 2017, 4:35 AM, PDT)
- Ten Best: Phone Scenes in Movies (From Blogomatic3000. 22 September 2017, 4:06 AM, PDT)
- 9 Times Lady Gaga Got Super Real in Her Netflix Documentary ‘Five Foot Two’ (From Entertainment Tonight. 22 September 2017, 12:00 AM, PDT)
Back to the Future (1985)
- "The Sound" - Enter Rose McGowan (From SneakPeek. 22 September 2017, 7:45 AM, PDT)
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle – Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 21 September 2017, 7:43 PM, PDT)
- Today in Movie Culture: The Many Deaths of Marty McFly, 'The Princess Bride' Trivia and More (From Movies.com. 19 September 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
Elizabeth Taylor (I)
- Capri Hollywood 2017 Dedicated to Elizabeth Taylor (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 25 September 2017, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- ‘Burton to This Taylor’: Inside the Epic Hollywood Love Story Taylor Swift References in 'Ready For It?' (From PEOPLE.com. 22 September 2017, 12:29 PM, PDT)
- AFI, Kennedy Center Honors Founder George Stevens Jr. on His Youth Spent on His Father’s Film Sets (From Variety - Film News. 15 September 2017, 10:15 AM, PDT)