15 November 2011 10:00 AM, PST | ScifiMafia | See recent ScifiMafia news »

Back in September we brought you the news when director J.J. Abrams (Super 8) officially signed on to helm the forthcoming sequel to the 2009 blockbuster, Star Trek. Just last week, we told you that Abrams was expected to offer the a mysterious villain role in the as yet Untitled Star Trek Sequel to actor Benicio Del Toro (Savages).

Now, THR reports that Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman said Thursday during his company’s quarterly earnings call that J.J. Abrams is “focused on developing the next installment of our Star Trek franchise” for a potential release in 2013. You may remember back in July that Paramount Pictures shifted the release date of the Star Trek sequel from its original June 29th, 2012 release date to the ambiguous and dateless fourth quarter of 2012 or summer 2013. Now I guess we can bet on the latter slot being more likely.

If Trek 2 opens in the summer of »

- Jason Moore

Report a problem



Similar News Items

Tom Cruise
J.J. Abrams
Zack Snyder


IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners