Kelly Slater has won a record-setting world surfing crown and he did it at the age of 39, making him the oldest world champion in history (incidentally, he's also the youngest, as his first win came at the age of 20). The title came at the Rip Curl Pro in Ocean Beach, which is in the San Francisco Bay area. Slater had to finish 9th or better to mathematically win the world title and while the Rip Curl Pro is not completed yet, he has secured himself at least a 9th-place finish, securing him the world title for 2011.
The title happened a year to day since Slater, and the surfing world, lost one of Slater's longtime rivals and friends in surfer Andy Irons. Irons was found dead from a mixture of drugs he was taking for insomnia and an illness, in a Texas hotel room Nov. 2, 2010.
(Slater is pictured above, left, winning »
Similar News ItemsKelly Slater (I)
- Kelly Slater Takes You For a Ride Inside His Perfect Wave (From TVovermind.com. 28 February 2017, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Star Wars Cast Team-Up for Rogue One Force 4 Fashion Charity (From MovieWeb. 22 November 2016, 10:22 AM, PST)
- Kelly Slater, Pelé and Stan Lee team up to get kids reading (From Monsters and Critics. 8 November 2016, 8:19 AM, PST)
- Andy Irons' Death -- Drugs Contributed (From TMZ. 10 June 2011, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- Irons Died From Cardiac Arrest (From WENN. 10 June 2011, 5:16 AM, PDT)
- Surfer Andy Irons died at 32 from drug use, heart attack (From Pop2it. 9 June 2011, 2:57 PM, PDT)
Picture Me (2009)
- Jesse Klein’s ‘We’re Still Together’ Explores, Anger, Rebellion, Family at Karlovy Vary (From Variety - Film News. 5 July 2016, 9:13 AM, PDT)
- Scott Disick Showed Up in Chris Brown's New Video to Make a Bunch of Insensitive (Bad) Jokes (From PEOPLE.com. 17 December 2015, 1:50 PM, PST)
- Marvelous DA7E 59: Inhumans, Aquaman, Tmnt and ASM2 Plot Insanity (From LRM Online. 13 August 2014, 10:42 AM, PDT)