While it is considered a classic today, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" was not a hit upon its 1971 release and was even criticized by some people who thought it was mean to children.
But in directing the adaption of the Roald Dahl book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," director Mel Stuart crafted a tale for adults, not kids. That is probably a big reason why it has endured and influenced everyone from "The Simpsons" to Marilyn Manson, on top of the brilliant performance from Gene Wilder as the eccentric yet calculating candy maker. And let's face it, kids love it too. They get it.
The imaginative story about five children who win a tour of Willy Wonka's top secret confectionary plant -- and the chaos they create with subsequent consequences they did not foresee -- is filled with all sorts of great characters, from Wonka to the irrepressibly bratty »
- Bryan Reesman
Similar News ItemsJohnny Depp
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Throw Engagement Party (From PEOPLE.com. 14 March 2014, 8:55 PM, PDT)
- See Morgan Freeman Play Morgan Freeman in New Featurette for Sci-Fi Thriller 'Transcendence' (From ShadowAndAct. 14 March 2014, 4:16 PM, PDT)
- Great Gatsby's Joel Edgerton joins Anton Corbijn's James Dean biopic Life (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 14 March 2014, 2:39 PM, PDT)
Tim Burton (I)
- Q&A: Timothy Spall (From The Guardian - TV News. 15 March 2014, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Q&A: Timothy Spall (From The Guardian - Film News. 15 March 2014, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Angelina Jolie Q&A: Bringing malevolent 'Maleficent' to life, doing some good in the world -- and those '50 Shades' rumors (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 14 March 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
"The Simpsons" (1989)
- Harry Potter fans will soon be able to ride the Hogwarts Express (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 14 March 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- TV Scorecard: What's Coming Back Next Season . . . and What's Not (From BuzzSugar. 14 March 2014, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Video of the Day: ‘The Simpsons’ tribute to Marcia Wallace (From SoundOnSight. 13 March 2014, 5:03 PM, PDT)