★★★☆☆ Spanish director Fernando León de Aranoa writes and directs well-meaning drama Amador, focusing upon the lives of Bolivian immigrants in Madrid - an under-represented group in cinematic terms - specifically Marcela (Magaly Solier) and her flower-selling partner Nelson (Pietro Sibille).
After discovering that she is pregnant (and in order to make ends meet due to her husband's struggling flower-trading trade), Marcela accepts a job taking care of the elderly, bedridden Amador (Celso Bugallo) while his family are away. Amador is initially cold towards his new carer, sitting aloof as he watches television or works on his jigsaw.
After a period of time, Marcela manages to break through Amador's icy exterior, engaging him on a personal level that his family seemed unable to achieve. However, the old man's sudden death leads Marcela to extreme measures in order to secure her full pay.
The subject matter here is certainly on the dark side, »
- Daniel Green
Similar News ItemsAlejandro González Iñárritu
- ‘Mother!’: How Darren Aronofsky’s Team Turned a Victorian Mansion Into a House of Horrors (From Indiewire. 21 September 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- George Clooney: The Key to Diversity Lies with Studio Executives, Not the Oscars — Exclusive Interview (From Indiewire. 10 September 2017, 11:57 AM, PDT)
- With ‘The Shape of Water,’ Guillermo del Toro Realizes a Lifelong Monster Dream (From Variety - Film News. 31 August 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Locarno Critics Academy 2017: Meet This Year’s Aspiring Film Critics (From Indiewire. 15 August 2017, 7:41 AM, PDT)
- San Sebastian: ‘El Autor,’ ‘Handia,’ ‘Life and Nothing More’ Make Competition Cut (From Variety - Film News. 28 July 2017, 2:41 AM, PDT)
- San Sebastian: ‘El Autor,’ ‘Handia,’ ‘Life and Nothing More’ Make Competition Cut (From Variety - TV News. 28 July 2017, 2:41 AM, PDT)
Fernando León de Aranoa
- San Sebastián Film Festival Co-Launches Elías Querejeta Film School (From Variety - Film News. 17 September 2017, 10:45 PM, PDT)
- San Sebastián Film Festival Co-launches Elías Querejeta Film School (From Variety - TV News. 17 September 2017, 10:45 PM, PDT)
- ‘Loving Pablo’s Javier Bardem On His Two Decade Journey Toward Portraying Pablo Escobar — Toronto Studio (From Deadline. 15 September 2017, 10:56 AM, PDT)