Acquired by Lionsgate and pulled from all but one of its screenings at the festival, the crowd-pleasing horror-comedy "You're Next" still killed at the Fantastic Fest 2011 Awards. The story of a couple trapped in a remote house by crazed animal-mask-wearing killers won four awards: Best Horror Feature, Best Director (Adam Wingard), Best Screenplay (Simon Barrett), and Best Actress (Sharni Vinson). Unofficially, it also won my award for Best Defacement of the Alamo Drafthouse. Look for this one from Lionsgate, probably sometime late in 2012.
The other big winner of the night was "Bullhead," which made a huge splash in the Amd & Dell Next Wave Spotlight Competition devoted to emerging filmmakers. The dark character study of a steroid-taking Mafia enforcer won Best Picture, Best Director (Michael R. Roskam), and Best Actor (Matthias Schoenaerts). According to IMDb, the film does not yet have a Us distributor.
Choosing the winners in any of the categories couldn't be easy. »
- Matt Singer
Similar News Items"Curb Your Enthusiasm" (2000)
- ‘Silicon Valley’: T.J. Miller Appears to Despise Producer Alec Berg and Will Never Return to the Show (From Indiewire. 26 June 2017, 8:06 AM, PDT)
- ‘Silicon Valley’: T.J. Miller Appears to Despise Producer Alec Berg and Will Never Return to the Show (From Indiewire Television. 26 June 2017, 8:06 AM, PDT)
- ‘Master of None’ Star Aziz Ansari on When to Expect Season 3 (From The Wrap. 22 June 2017, 12:26 PM, PDT)
- Horror Highlights: House On Willow Street Blu-ray / DVD, Pitchfork DVD Contest, Manhattan Undying (From DailyDead. 12 May 2017, 6:22 AM, PDT)
- 'A House on Willow Street': Film Review (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 30 March 2017, 11:13 AM, PDT)
- Review — No Bad Deed Goes Unpunished at the ‘House on Willow Street’ (From FilmSchoolRejects. 24 March 2017, 11:59 AM, PDT)
Simon Barrett (I)
- ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’: While Director Adam Wingard Is Hollywood’s Gain, Indie Film Loses a Talent (From Indiewire. 2 June 2017, 12:35 PM, PDT)
- Film Acquisition Rundown: Focus Buys ‘The Little Stranger,’ Oscilloscope Picks Up ‘Brimstone & Glory’ and More (From Indiewire. 26 May 2017, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- The 20 Best Horror Films Of The 21st Century, From ’28 Days Later’ to ‘Get Out’ (From Indiewire. 12 May 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)