Indie production company Helix Films has formed an exclusive partnership with the Meccano Toy Co. to develop an original 3D feature film based upon the Erector Set line of construction toys.
Invented in England by Frank Hornby in 1901, Meccano was conceived as a model toy construction system comprising reusable metal strips, plates, angle girders, wheels, axles and gears, with nuts and bolts to connect the pieces. The toy has sold under the Erector Set brand in the U.S. since 1913, and Meccano/Erector set toy products are currently sold in more than 90 companies.
Santa Monica-based Helix is developing a script for a family fantasy/adventure franchise built around the nuts-and-bolts brand that could also be extended to other platforms like TV and video games.
The deal, for undisclosed terms, represents the first time Meccano has licensed film rights to its toys.
Helix was founded in 2008 by film producers and business execs Steven-Charles Jaffe, »
- By Gregg Kilday
Similar News ItemsGia Noortas
- ‘Erector Set’ Movie On The Way (From Screen Rant. 17 February 2010, 10:34 AM, PST)
- Erector Set to Spawn a 3D Film Franchise (From MovieWeb. 16 February 2010, 1:06 PM, PST)
- Helix Films Planning Movie About Erections (From CinemaSpy. 16 February 2010, 12:15 PM, PST)
- Trailers For All of This Week’s Releases: Punk Rock Vengeance Edition (From FilmSchoolRejects. 9 October 2013, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Sci-Fi Thriller 'The Absence' Wins Top Award at Comic-Con Film Festival (From The Hollywood Reporter. 15 July 2012, 11:25 AM, PDT)
- 2012 Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival: Official Lineup (From Underground Film Journal. 10 July 2012, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Singing the Praises of Cartoonist Gahan Wilson in Gahan Wilson: Born Dead, Still Weird (From Village Voice. 18 November 2013, 9:00 PM, PST)
- Documentary filmmaker seeks Kickstarter funds ... for Oscar race (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 7 August 2013, 3:26 PM, PDT)
- Playboy Cartoonist Doc Heads to Kickstarter for Oscar-Qualifying Funds (From The Wrap. 7 August 2013, 10:00 AM, PDT)