The Russian project, based on Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's play about a scholar who sells his soul to the devil, won over the jury at the Venice Film Festival in Italy and earned Sokurov the prestigious Golden Lion prize on Saturday, but the director admits Faust would never have been made if Putin had not offered his assistance following the global economic crisis of 2009.
The pair met to discuss the plans for the movie and Sokurov was shocked to receive an offer of $10.9 million (£6.8 million) from officials at the Fund for the Support of the Development of Mass Media just a month after their chat.
The filmmaker tells Afp, "The film would not have seen the light if Putin had not found the funding.
"I was astonished and never understood why Putin, who has never been a friend of mine, decided to support the film... (He) expressed only one wish: that the feature film, shot in German, should be a Russian production."
Similar News ItemsVladimir Putin
- Oliver Stone’s Vladimir Putin Interview Criticized by Pussy Riot Member (From Indiewire. 25 June 2017, 10:32 AM, PDT)
- CNN’s Smerconish to Jill Stein: Did Putin Elevate You to Hurt Hillary? (From Mediaite - TV. 24 June 2017, 7:52 AM, PDT)
- Stephen Colbert May Be Joking on Russian TV That He’s Running for President, But He Should Seriously Consider It (From Indiewire. 23 June 2017, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- J. Hoberman’s Best Movies of the 21st Century (From Indiewire. 20 June 2017, 2:50 PM, PDT)
- Doha Film Institute Recruits Lucrecia Martel, Paulo Branco for Qumra Event (From Variety - Film News. 12 February 2017, 6:51 AM, PST)
- Lucrecia Martel, Paulo Branco join Qumra masters as 2017 projects revealed (From ScreenDaily. 12 February 2017, 6:09 AM, PST)
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- First Look at Juliette Binoche in Claire Denis’ ‘Let the Sunshine In’ (From The Film Stage. 26 April 2017, 5:28 AM, PDT)
- Berlin Film Review: ‘The Erlprince’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 February 2017, 11:45 PM, PST)
- Berlin Film Review: ‘Have A Nice Day’ (From Variety - Film News. 17 February 2017, 12:08 PM, PST)