Leiber, 78, died in Los Angeles of cardio-pulmonary failure. Ashford, who was 70, died in New York after suffering from throat cancer.
With partner Mike Stoller, Leiber wrote dozens of early rock 'n' roll hits for artists including the Drifters, the Coasters and Elvis Presley, who had No. 1 singles with several of their songs, including "Jailhouse Rock," "Hound Dog" and "Don't."
Some of the duo's other classics include "Kansas City," "Yakety Yak," "Love Potion No. 9," "I'm a Woman," "Stand by Me" (which they wrote with singer Ben E. King), "On Broadway" and "Charlie Brown." They were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.
Ashford and Valerie Simpson began as a songwriting team for Motown Records and wrote or produced some of the label's all-time great songs, including "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," "Ain't Nothing Like »
Similar News ItemsElvis Presley
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Join in on the Fun at Orlando Bloom’s Surprise Birthday Party (From PEOPLE.com. 15 January 2017, 3:16 PM, PST)
- Dick Gautier, ‘Get Smart’ Actor, Dies at 85 (From The Wrap. 14 January 2017, 10:53 AM, PST)
- Dick Gautier, Hymie the Robot on 'Get Smart,' Dies at 85 (From hollywoodreporter_tv. 14 January 2017, 9:21 AM, PST)
Stand by Me (1986)
- New Justice League Dark Clip (From Comicmix. 19 January 2017, 2:19 PM, PST)
- The Best Coming of Age Films (From The Hollywood News. 13 January 2017, 4:17 AM, PST)
- David Moreau Talks About ‘Alone,’ Shooting a French Fantasy Thriller (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 11 January 2017, 10:55 PM, PST)
- Melissa Etheridge Remembers ‘Musically Brilliant’ George Michael (From PEOPLE.com. 16 January 2017, 12:00 PM, PST)
- Host Steve Harvey Returns to the Legendary Apollo Theater for All-New ‘Showtime at the Apollo’ Feb. 1, on Fox (From ShadowAndAct. 10 January 2017, 7:28 AM, PST)
- New Year's Eve's best TV: Jools' Annual Hootenanny; Peter Cook & Dudley Moore: The Missing Sketches (From The Guardian - TV News. 30 December 2016, 10:00 PM, PST)