The publishers of Britain's News of the World shut the publication down last month amid allegations a private investigator working for the newspaper had illegally accessed voicemail messages belonging to celebrities, royals and crime victims.
The incident prompted a world-wide probe into a number of other major publications in a bid to weed out unethical news-gathering practices and now Mills is concerned her privacy may have been violated too.
The model, who ended her marriage with the Beatles star in 2006, alleges a senior journalist at Britain's Trinity Mirror group - the newspaper organisation which owns both the Daily Mirror and the Sunday Mirror - hacked into her voicemail 10 years ago.
Speaking about the incident on BBC programme Newsnight, Mills claims a reporter called her in 2001 and regurgitated intimate details of a message left to her by then-boyfriend McCartney.
Recalling the interaction she had with the alleged hacker, she says, "He said, 'Oh, I hear you've had a big argument with your boyfriend.' And I said, 'And why would you know this?' And he started quoting verbatim the messages from my machine...
"And I said, 'You've obviously hacked my phone and if you do anything with this story... I'll go to the police.' (And he responded), 'Ok, Ok, yeah we did hear it on your voice messages, I won't run it.'"
Mills did cite the name of the journalist during the interview, however TV bosses at the BBC bleeped out the name.
Similar News ItemsPaul McCartney
- Watch Victoria Beckham Completely Slay the Mannequin Challenge (From Entertainment Tonight. 2 December 2016, 1:27 PM, PST)
- Ellen DeGeneres Posts Mannequin Challenge Video After Being Blocked From White House Event (From The Wrap. 22 November 2016, 3:24 PM, PST)
- Playboy Sued -- Drop Paul McCartney's Sexy Mullet Now and Hand Over the Dough (From TMZ. 22 November 2016, 12:40 AM, PST)
Heather Mills (II)
- Phil Collins Reveals 14-Year Feud With Paul McCartney Following Autograph Request (From ET Canada. 17 October 2016, 6:13 PM, PDT)
- ‘Notorious’: After 32 Years at CNN, Producer Wendy Walker Finally Gets to Make Up the News (From Indiewire Television. 22 September 2016, 10:26 AM, PDT)
- ‘Notorious’: After 32 Years at CNN, Producer Wendy Walker Finally Gets to Make Up the News (From Indiewire. 22 September 2016, 10:26 AM, PDT)
- Watching Ed Balls on Strictly was the uncomplicated joy we all needed | Suzanne Moore (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 November 2016, 4:32 AM, PST)
- Ash Atalla: white middle class 'swept away' decision to close BBC3 (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 November 2016, 4:00 AM, PST)
- Never give a straight answer: how I learned to talk like a politician (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 October 2016, 6:23 AM, PDT)