The publishers of Britain's News of the World shut the publication down last month amid allegations a private investigator working for the newspaper had illegally accessed voicemail messages belonging to celebrities, royals and crime victims.
The incident prompted a world-wide probe into a number of other major publications in a bid to weed out unethical news-gathering practices and now Mills is concerned her privacy may have been violated too.
The model, who ended her marriage with the Beatles star in 2006, alleges a senior journalist at Britain's Trinity Mirror group - the newspaper organisation which owns both the Daily Mirror and the Sunday Mirror - hacked into her voicemail 10 years ago.
Speaking about the incident on BBC programme Newsnight, Mills claims a reporter called her in 2001 and regurgitated intimate details of a message left to her by then-boyfriend McCartney.
Recalling the interaction she had with the alleged hacker, she says, "He said, 'Oh, I hear you've had a big argument with your boyfriend.' And I said, 'And why would you know this?' And he started quoting verbatim the messages from my machine...
"And I said, 'You've obviously hacked my phone and if you do anything with this story... I'll go to the police.' (And he responded), 'Ok, Ok, yeah we did hear it on your voice messages, I won't run it.'"
Mills did cite the name of the journalist during the interview, however TV bosses at the BBC bleeped out the name.
Similar News ItemsPaul McCartney
- ‘Zombie Broadway’ Heading To Screen From Eurythmics’ Dave Stewart (From Deadline New York. 25 September 2014, 10:01 AM, PDT)
- Obscure comic book movies that nearly got the greenlight (From Den of Geek. 19 September 2014, 2:45 AM, PDT)
- 10 Things About... Cilla Black (From Digital Spy - TV news. 15 September 2014, 7:48 AM, PDT)
Heather Mills (II)
- Courteney Cox & Johnny McDaid Snag Some New Rings on Ireland Trip (From PEOPLE.com. 28 July 2014, 8:05 AM, PDT)
- Everything mentioned from 2006 and 2007 in VH1's 'I Love the 2000s' (From EW.com - PopWatch. 21 June 2014, 10:59 AM, PDT)
- Appeals Court: Paul McCartney's Ex-Wife Doesn't Owe Publicist (From The Hollywood Reporter. 18 February 2014, 10:18 AM, PST)
- BBC Newsnight: Evan Davis draws more than 600,000 viewers | TV ratings - 30 September (From The Guardian - TV News. 1 October 2014, 3:49 AM, PDT)
- Jeremy Paxman to front Channel 4s general election coverage (From The Guardian - TV News. 24 September 2014, 3:44 AM, PDT)
- Jeremy Paxman moves to Channel 4 to anchor general election coverage (From Digital Spy - TV news. 24 September 2014, 2:17 AM, PDT)