Chicago – For every instance of “monumental” history, there are a series of events surrounding it that gets swept under the rug, but have the same bearing as the bigger occurrence. Director Gilles Paquet-Brenner tells one of those background stories in “Sarah’s Key,” a sorrowful piece of French history during World War II.
The centerpiece in the film is the Vel´d’Hiv incident, a round-up of Jewish people in Paris during the Nazi occupation there. The Vel´d’Hiv was a sports stadium, and French officials put the captured Jews into the arena without sufficient food, water and facilities. One character likened it to the New Orleans Superdome during the Katrina Hurricane crisis, but “a million times” worse.
French director Gilles Paquet-Brenner adapted Sarah’s Key from a popular novel that uses the Vel´d’Hiv as a launching point for the tortured story of Sarah Starzynski, who at »
- email@example.com (Adam Fendelman)
Similar News ItemsMarion Cotillard
- Film Review: ‘Cézanne et moi’ (From Variety - Film News. 29 March 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- James Gray Reveals Harvey Weinstein’s Proposed Crowd-Pleasing Ending for ‘The Immigrant’ (From The Film Stage. 27 March 2017, 12:39 PM, PDT)
- Win Allied on Blu-ray (From HeyUGuys. 26 March 2017, 12:00 AM, PDT)
Kristin Scott Thomas
- See Princess Kate’s Two Stunning Paris Looks in One Night! (From PEOPLE.com. 17 March 2017, 1:24 PM, PDT)
- Tres Jolie! All the Style Details on Princess Kate’s Paris Gala Look (From PEOPLE.com. 17 March 2017, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- Hitchcock Family Backs Fight to Save Art-Deco Movie Theater (From Variety - Film News. 10 March 2017, 7:52 AM, PST)
- François Ozon posts provocative first image for erotic thriller 'Amant Double' (From ScreenDaily. 23 March 2017, 3:03 AM, PDT)
- Ozon posts provocative first image for erotic thriller 'Amant Double' (From ScreenDaily. 23 March 2017, 3:03 AM, PDT)
- Cannes: New Films From Todd Haynes, Sofia Coppola Expected; Will Brad Pitt Return to the Croisette? (From Variety - Film News. 22 March 2017, 4:02 PM, PDT)